Fisher & Paykel

Fisher & Paykel is a well-known brand here in New Zealand....been around as long as I can remember....and I'm 57. They're reliable and innovative designs in all sorts of whiteware. Don't know what your Customer service is like in America, though.

Marie

Reply to
Steve & Jo

I was very happy with my Fisher Paykel washer. Bragged to everyone I knew how great it was ---- until it broke. Fisher Paykel did make a valiant effort to repair it, made 8 service calls, and then ended up stating that "it was operating properly" even though I do not believe it. I knew how it operated before and it is not repaired. So much for customer satisfaction. As much as I like this machine, I would be hesitant to get another one.

Reply to
Doug McGinnis

Perhaps you could elaborate a little for us so we know what the Fisher Paykel washer is doing or not doing since it 'broke'. This information might be useful to potential purchasers plus you might get some feedback as to what is causing your problem.

Reply to
Loose Cannon

Well, it all started when a load went out of balance and the machine did not shut down. I heard all kinds of noise and ran to find my wife trying to hold the machine down as it was violently rocking (she didnt think about opening the lid to get it to shut down!). The inner tub hit the outer shell hard enough to dent it. After this it had a serious vibration and lots of noise. It seemed to me that the shaft or tub must be out of round. The repair guy made 8 or 9 trips and FP made 2 trips. They did such things as clean the lint off the suspension rods - didnt work, re-level the machine (it was already level), replace suspension rods, didnt work, replace bias spring (actually they mailed it to me and had me replace it) didnt work, replaced out of balance switch, replaced rubber feet as they had worn down because it shakes so much, none of these items would help the vibration problem, it didnt make sense the things they were fixing. They keep saying it was operating normally. So finally replaced inner tub at my insistance 3/4 of the vibration went away. Now they say its normal but I can tell it makes a different sound and the pictures on my walls vibrate clear through my house. The washer is on a concrete slab and is level. I still believe a bearing or a microscopic bend in the shaft is causing the noise and vibration.

I have a collection of 30 emails and phone calls I've made with them. They are done with me I guess as I have never heard back since their last visit. Now all I can do is let people learn from my experience and make their own decision on purchasing a FP. I probably was responsible for selling at least

5 machines to people I knew due to my initial recommendations. I dont understand why a big Company would want to loose a potential life long customer and their word of mouth advertising over replacing a machine that wholesales for probably $300. I lost 4 days of work and they spent a lot of time fiddling with it also! They were telling me they have never had to replace a shaft or have had a problem like mine. Go figure...........

Doug McGinnis

Reply to
Doug McGinnis

Thanks for sharing your experience with the Fisher Paykel washer. Hope it is not the usual experience of other Fisher Paykel owners. What did you have in the washer when it went out of balance in the spin cycle? Does it shut off automatically now if there is an uneven load in it?

We have been looking at Fisher Paykel as a replacement for our aging washer that is on it's last legs. Our main concerns were with service. Would there be any repair guys who were familiar with them when they needed repairs? They do give a two year warranty on them, but after that, it could get expensive to repair. So many service people will claim familiarity with an item and then waste a lot of your time and money while they learn how to repair it at your expense.

I think of it like cars. I don't want a Saab or a Jaguar that only two or three people in town know how to repair. I would rather have a Chev or Ford that I can get repaired easily just about anywhere.

Reply to
Loose Cannon

We had a bedspread in the washer and it got into a back and forth rhythm and never hit the out of balance switch. They replaced the switch, but it was never broken - they even tested it and it was good! They are easy to service as there are not many moving parts, no transmission, etc. It depends on your local 'agent' as far as repairs. If you are in so. calif. I will make you a deal on one slightly used Fisher Paykel! I would get one again except for the dreadful experience I had. I almost have to leave the house everytime we do laundry because I get a knot in my stomach thinking about all the hassles I went through!

Reply to
Doug McGinnis