first tools

Herb Evena, or someone who calls themself Herb Evena asked...

Before that question can be answered, I think we need to know what will the adult in question will need the tools for. For general home repairs, one set of tools will work but for someone with a desire to try woodworking, a different set of four would be required.

I probably don't need a pair of pliers to build a book case, and I probably don't need a circular saw to change an outlet.

Another question: what is your definition of a "tool" in this instance? Is a single handle with multiple inserts one tool or more? Is a 18v kit with a circular saw, drill, reciprocating saw and flashlight a single tool or does that fill the full quota of 4?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

A few years back I broke all my tools down into 5 groups. Plumbing Electrical Carpentry Mechanical General There are some things that overlap such as screwdrivers and basic pliers But over time I got into more specialized versions for each category e.g Electrical screwdrivers and pliers have insulated grips Mechanical screwdrivers have hardened tips etc. I also color-coded the tools by dipping the handles into colored rubber coating

Has made keeping track of them far easier. Particularly when SWMBO dips into one tool box and then just puts the tool back on the bench (If that).

Reply to
Attila Iskander

Compare a crappy screwdriver with a good one by actual use, and you'll know the difference, even if you can't see the diff before you use it.

On the other hand, even a crappy screwdriver won't damage the screw if you know what you're doing.

Reply to
Wes Groleau

Yes. I did that when I started my house renovation. Bought several toolboxed on discount that happened to be stackable and strong and have:

Plumbing Electrical Screwdrivers (etc) Fixings (lots of screws)

The electrical one contains a second set of screwdrivers that are insulated along with wirestripers, sidecutter, professional grade crimp tool (insulated and uninsulated type) and various bits that go with my Megger electrical tester.

I try to get everything back in the right box at the end of a job. Certainly cuts down on tool-losing!

Reply to
Tim Watts

I hope you find your way back to this thread as it really is a perennial question and only you [or the recipient] can determine what the best 4 are.

When my daughter got her first apartment I made her a kit with a claw hammer, a good set of screwdrivers, some duct tape, an adjustable wrench and a pair of Vice Grips. When I got her the nice pink tool belt, I saw it had a space for a tape measure & I filled that, too.

When [if?] my son leaves, he'll get some mechanics tools- and a set of tiny screwdrivers to tear electronics apart.

If this is for you-- Buy the minimum, but buy good quality. As a job comes up, buy a decent tool to make the job easier. I'm past

60 and the addage 'Any job worth doing is worth buying a tool for.' is just starting to be useless. [maybe I just do a lot fewer jobs these days-- but I don't have a lot of really new toys]

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Mac did have a swiss Army knife. Which is a bit odd, as he seemed to have contempt for military, guns, and weapons.

.

Come on - MacGyver did not have a hammer!

;->

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I have since started putting electrical hand tools in their own tool boxes, with the appropriate "stuff" that should go with it e.g. Palm sander -> sand paper Router -> router bits

Many of these tools were obtained with huge discounts or even free with rebates Also, by letting the least used boxes got to the bottom of the stack, I have a pretty clear idea of which tools are proving redundant.

Reply to
Attila Iskander

A lot depends on what kind of house, and what kind of repairs. Or, if said adult is going to repair small engines, vehicles, etc.

As to my own usage,

10 way screw driver crescent wrench (doubles as light hammer) Wire stripper / pliers combo VOM / ammeter

Drill Dremel angle grinder sawzall

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I'm with this advice. I bought my first socket set when I was 15 and had a dirt bike; it was a cheap set from Taiwan, but it was enough for me to destroy a few fasteners by overtightening them, which led to buying a cheap torque wrench to do it properly.

You can buy a relatively cheap set of tools these days that includes a socket set and wrenches, pliers, et cetera. As you break or outgrow tools, you will have a better idea what kind of quality you want, and can then go purchase a particular type/brand of that tool, which will last you longer.

Don't forget to buy a tool chest and learn to put the tools back in the same place after each use; the hardest part of fixing something is having to struggle finding the tool.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

Thanks, I'll add that to my American vocabulary.

Reply to
Smitty Two

I guess you have "everything for a dollar" shops?

But what would you call soft s**te metal that the pliars and screwdrivers in such shops are made of?

My dad use to have a term "muckite" (shitite is also used) for die-cast alumunium that snaps as soon as you look at it.

cheesemetal is different - it never breaks but it might as well be lead for all the use it is :-o

Reply to
Tim Watts

Sure.

"Pot metal" is often used for cheap castings, but I've heard the term applied to any low quality metal, even if it isn't cast.

Cheese metal is a good term. I once bought a drill bit at a home improvement store that bent when I tried to drill a piece of wood with it. Reminds me of the acronym ASO, meaning "anvil shaped object."

Reply to
Smitty Two

Ah - now you've said it, I have heard that term too...

Wood - LoL! And I get upset when my SDS destroys a bit on iron hard masonry :->>>

Reply to
Tim Watts

Not sure which of the "four way things" you are speaking of.

I don't where I got this, but it ended up in my toolbox a while back and I love it.

I know I didn't get it through the Lowes deal, but I did get it for free...I just don't know how.

I'm usually against combination tools that claim to take the place of multiple tools but usually don't take the place of even one decent one, but this Kobalt 6 in 1 screwdriver works very well. I don't use the nut driver part for anything heavy, but the screwdrivers get a lot of use for quicky fixes around the house and cars. It's nice to have 4 screwdrivers handy in one easy to change tool.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I worked for a large company as an electrician with about 20 others. We all carried a tool similar to that one. Saved carring around a bunch of other tools. While not the best for some things, they worked well for the electrical connections. The tools were bought by the company and they would buy us almost anything we asked for. So it was not a mater of getting out cheap. If we did break one, that was no big deal as the company would get us a new one. They usually had a replacement in the tool room.

If I really needed a good screwdriver, it was back to my main tool box in the shop to get one, or carry a good one if I knew I was going to need one.

Also nothing like carring a big screwdriver that I used for everything but driving screws. Makes a dandy prybar and other abused usages.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

"White metal" is another term for the same thing.

Reply to
krw

WD-40 Duct tape Multi tool Hammer.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

In my experience... the more 'things' something does, the less 'things' it does well.

Same holds true for many people.

Erik

Reply to
Erik

That's typically my opinion of most x-in-one tools. However, the Kobalt screwdriver works, mainly because the changeable bits are of good quality and the holding mechanism for both the bits and the shaft is well built.

BTW...the model I have no longer seems to be available (I was in Lowes last night). I can't speak for the newer models.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Since I screw a lot for a living, I must have a high quality tool for the job. (lots of puns) The best multi bit screwdrivers I've ever come across are manufactured in The U.S.A. by Megapro. Their tools are solid and the guts don't break like the cheap Asian multi bit screwdrivers. I've been carrying their Megalok model in my pocket for more than 5 years and I use it daily. I broke one bit through misuse and was able to purchase a replacement bit at WW Grainger where I purchased the tool. It is what I consider a lifetime tool because it lasts and the bits can be bought at any industrial supplier which stocks their line. It's not like the cheap multi bit drivers that you can't get replacement bits for which is why I like it so much. The best thing about the Megalok is the fact that it can be carried in your pants pocket without snagging or tearing a hole in your pocket. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas