First Time Paver

I am having my concrete walkway removed, in it's place I would like to install a nice stone walkway. Flagstone is something I have seen and like but am not sure this makes the most sense? I will also extend this walkway to go around the side of my house and through a garden I am working on. The amount of choices available are overwhelming; I am wondering what is the best choice for this project. Something I can do myself and won't cost me a fortune. At the sometime I am wondering if somebody can recommend a good site and\or book to help guide me with the installation process. Many thanks in advance. Ted

Reply to
Ted Appleberry

Mark and Kim Smith

Reply to
Bennett Price

Reply to
Ted Appleberry

i wonder if anyone has ever used a 4 /12" angle grinder and or hammer/chisels to convert a concrete surface to look like stones with mortar between them, by grinding/chiseling out what would be the (lower) mortar, removing say 1/4 to 1/2" from the surface down for the "mortar" area

seems one could, and use stains, acid staining, etc. on the concrete "stones" between the "mortar", then stain the "stones" and seal the whole project

have wanted to experiment with this a few times but never got around to it

have heard using a car inner tube with a template design cut into it and laying that on the concrete and then sandblasting the design into the concrete looks really neat

then there's all the acid stain etc. things one can do to a concrete surface

one could also cut bricks in half with a tile saw and mortar the brick halves onto the existing walkway, then seal,,,heard about a house floor like this once, sounded like a bad idea, then i saw it, absolutley awesome brick floor

at a minimum, if you must have real stone (flagstone, etc), consider topping the existing walkway with it, or if you must remove the existing walkway, using large pieces of 2" thick flagstone as stepping stones with spaces (and no mortar) between them, with grass or moss growing between the stones

Reply to
effi