First they came for the CFLs...

"BRITAIN faces a new round of lightbulb chaos with EU plans to ban halogen lights and force people to buy alternatives that are up to 12 times more expensive, experts warned yesterday."
http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/303633/303633
When light bulbs are outlawed, only outlaws will have light bulbs.
Proles will be back to candle light and wick lamps.
"BRITAIN faces a new round of lightbulb chaos with EU plans to ban halogen lights and force people to buy alternatives that are up to 12 times more expensive, experts warned yesterday."
http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/303633/303633
HeyBub wrote:

sounds like I need to get in the export business. I'll only charge 6x the cost.
On 2/23/2012 6:33 AM, HeyBub wrote:

And it turns out that the European Commission is only writing a draft proposal for discontinuing the sale of the least efficient of these bulbs, with no penalties for flouting the ban. They are targeting the poor quality bulbs manufactured in China, with the goal of motivating those manufacturers to improve their products. Further, the phaseout would occur over a period of several years, not instantly next year.
In other words, no big deal.

Of course it's no big deal, but people only read the sensationalized headlines.
The fancy high-end designer bulbs cost 12X as much. If you just get the slightly better bulbs that are compliant with the new law, they cost 1.05X as much. Given a year or two, the better bulbs will cost . 75X as much as the cheap ones do now.
Let's all get our panties in a wad, and start an armed revolt!
Can't do that, sorry. Britain banned guns a couple years ago.

Let's all get our panties in a wad, and start an armed revolt!
HeyBub wrote:

I wouldn't mind if they will last 12 times longer.