first alert talking smoke alarms

After the previous thread, I picked up a couple of these, they seem quite well designed overall, the tri-tone is about 500hz and my 85yo mother can hear them quite well - BUT she cannot hear the voice, which is still at very high frequency probably averaging over 2khz.
The unit can be tested and muted by any (?) tv IR remote, and does not seem too sensitive to accidental activation.
$35 at Lowes.
The one feature I did not get is the "OneLink" that lets one alarm in your house set off all the others via 900mhz link. Nice feature, but doubles the price, and the house isn't all that large.
J.

Since 900mhz is used by cordless phones and probably other equipment it would seem subject to false triggers, which can be annoying and detremental to peaceful life.
On Mon, 12 Oct 2009 19:14:15 -0400, "EXT"

has a bunch of codes you set to make nice.
I also bought some little walkie-talkies the other day, they have the same kind of feature, separate security codes on every channel, plus settable ID sounds ... pretty nice, actually.
J.

What do talking smoke alarms say? I mean, seriously.
"Sniff. . . . Heyyyy . . . Is somebody smoking in here?" "I say, I think somebody IS smoking in here. You know that's NOT allowed." "No. Wait. That's smells like grease. Mom must be cooking again." "Funny, it doesn't SMELL like chicken. Not even Mom's chicken." "Are you sure it's not . . . Sniff. SNIFF! HOLY SHIT! IT'S A "FIRE! FIRE! FIRE! Everybody out! Grab the cat! And the photo albums! Don't forget the freaking photo albums!"
????
-Frank
--
Here\'s some of my work:
http://www.franksknives.com /

honk honk honk
[smoke / Fire / carbon monoxide] detected in [selected room] evacuate evacuate
honk honk honk
J.