Firewood stacking

Page 2 of 2

I try to use it up and learned to buy less than I need, I dont keep any of it around come spring. The bottom few layers are pretty bad though.

I stack right on the ground. The bottom layer usually has a bit of damp dirt on it that I scrape off but I don't have a problem with rotting if the wood is used withing a year or two. I am currently burning some that was stacked under the drip edge of the garage roof for a minimum of 3 years, may have been 4. Bottom layer had a fairly thik layier of damp dirt, a a very thing 1/8" penetration of beginning rot.
Dunno how that fits with your climate, I am in semi arid area.
Harry K

It's a little different here in seattle.
Bob

Oh? Not all that much. Your rain is measured in feet, mine in inches and fractions ;). I am over here in the Palouse in the 7th year of drought. We are again about 4" shy of normal and normal is only around 16".
Harry K