Firewood and Poison Ivy/Oak

I've been granted access to a large pile of firewood rounds, free for the taking. I'm pretty sure that there is no poison ivy/oak mixed in with the wood because the pile is right next to where I park my trailer on an old farm. I have cut the weeds/grass around my trailer numerous times over the past few years and have not been exposed. Believe me, I know when I have been exposed.

That said, "pretty sure" is not the same as "100% sure" so here is my question:

The wood will be used exclusively in an open fit pit and I know that burning poison ivy/oak in an open fit pit is not a good idea. That said, if I do find that there is poison ivy/oak within the pile - a sloppy, unorganized pile - should I avoid any and all pieces that are in contact with the plant?

I know how these plants spread their badness via the oil, but I'm not sure how much oil would end up on a piece of firewood and whether it's dangerous to handle/burn any pieces they might have come in contact with the plant.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

If you don't burn the plant itself you will be OK

People get in trouble burning patches of poison ivy, poison oak or sumac

Reply to
gfretwell