Firewood

Hi, I need to buy some wood for the fireplace, not as a heating source, more for leasure, but still expect to go through at least 1 cord, if not 2 this winter.
A friend suggested the following (they're local to me), was wondering if anyone had any experience with either them directly or a similar product? (I'm sure their product isn't unique by any stretch).
http://www.eco-lution.ca/compare_e.html
I'll probably try to find a local store and buy a sample box to see for myself, but any feedback or thoughts appreciated.
Make that... leisure.
Haven't had my 2nd cup of Java of the day...
Interesting concept and it sounds like it should work as advertised - I'd say buy one of the special promo-packs or tryout boxes that they advertise and give it a try. At this time of the year, good firewood is going to be expensive and hard to come by I think so you don't have much to lose by trying it. Do us all a favor if you do try this, post your thoughts back here afterwards so we can all learn.
Cheers.

Those logs look like giant wood pellets. Too bad they don't have a dealer network in the US. I'd like to try some.

A month doesn't go by that I don't see a large pile of maple or oak sitting in the street, waiting for the town to haul it away. I ignore it, knowing that I will find some black locust with a little patience. Buy fake wood? Argh...
So you resist buying gas and oil knowing the blood of arabs flows in those lines??? You refuse coffee because its known as the 'black mans sweat'? This is a fine canadian invention, hope we never send a single stick of it to the great satan to the south. Let em freeze!!!!

northwoods hunterX wrote:

Whoa! touched a nerve there sonny did he? Get your nose out of the air and chill! Fucking Canuck.

My $.02 - If your goal is ambience, go for real wood. This stuff is going to be butt-ugly in the fireplace. No snapping sound, no randomness to the flame, and no wood-burning scent. I suspect you'll tire of it quickly. This would be great for heat if, for whatever reason, you refuse to use gas or oil. But natural gas, oil, propane, and electricity are much cheaper.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com says...

I don't know about this brand, but don't some add salts to make the colored flames? If it is indeed compressed or pellatized wood there will be some odor, but dried to 2% moisture I'm sure some of the aromatics were purged.
I'd want to try a box before buying an entire cord of it.