fireplace spackling

I want to finish a wall that has a fireplace in it. I do not wish to use a moulding on the sides where the wall will join the fireplace and wonder what the best way to finish this would be. I was thinking of just spakling it without tape. Anyone have any ideas on this.

Rob

Reply to
Robwjm2

I am not sure what you want to do, but that does not sound like an good option.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

You could use some drywall "end caps" on it. Or, you could tape it and finish it as close to the fireplace as you can and then use caulking. It will probably look rather poor if you don't use any molding.

Reply to
Jimmy

I assume that you just have a drywall edge "hanging" next to the brick because of a fire code restriction that prohibits placing a (flammable) stud next to the chimney.

If you are willing to expend the effort, a reasonable way to do this is to place masking tape carefully on the brick and side wall and then applying a thin (1/8 to 1/4 inch) bead of polyurethane caulk between the brick and the drywall. You may need to place a backer rod in the gap of the joint so that the caulk isn't too thick. (Carefully here means being certain that the masking tape follows the surface into grout lines, etc. so that the caulk can't wick under the masking tape.)

The reason for not wanting too thick a joint is so that it can stretch as the house moves to preclude tearing.

RB

Robwjm2 wrote:

Reply to
RB