Fireplace repair

The face and hearth extension has pulled about 1/2" away from the fireplace. Is this a do-it-yourself type project or must it be repaired by a professional? I've heard of fireplace mortar. Would this do the job? Thanks in advance
Fireplace mortar like Rutland will NOT work because it is water soluble until it reaches 300 degrees F. I no longer moving, take fiberglass gasket material used to seal wood stove doors, and push into the crack.
--
John Galbreath Jr.
http://www.firelogs.com /