Fireplace - pilot light question

Not sure if this is the right newsgroup.. I have a fireplace question. I moved to a new house and got the Majestic Vermont castings 33BDVR fireplace, everything is working okay. When the system is off (wall swich = off) I just notice the pilot light is using a lot of gas, when I put my hands on the glass, it's SO WARM.. is this normal?? Compared to my old fireplace in my previous house, the flame of the pilot light is much bigger, is it intentional? I am worrying about my gas bill and possible danger (glass is very warm) if I leave the pilot light on all the time. what do you guys think?

Reply to
nospamplease

Axial

Given this situation I would call the company and installer and see about converting to an electronic ignition system. It may not be possible for technical reasons, though, for example if the fireplace draft is unusually high. The warm glass may be indicative of inadequate venting. Considering all the possible problems, an early resolution would be called for proior to the heating season coming up. HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst

With an gas water heater I was told that 30% of the gas bill was the pilot light

Reply to
SQLit

It is normal. On warm days the pilot makes my house too warm. I now turn off the pilot light unless the weather is going to be cold for a while.

Reply to
sueg