Fireplace modification

I need more height to install a gas f/p so I was thinking of removing the top 2 rows of bricks where they jut out in the center. The current height is 20" but I need about 24" for the vent pipe to connect inside the chimney. Other possibilities include drilling a hole thru the f/p but this would not look good if the gas f/p was ever removed.
My question is: How can I remove the 2 rows safely? The iron bar would have to come out which could cause the bricks to collapse. Will there be similar bricks behind the ones I remove?
Thanks
http://www3.telus.net/martik/fireplace1.jpg angle showing jut out
http://www3.telus.net/martik/fireplace2.jpg iron bar under the bricks
You will need to put in a new steel header
No ideas on the fireplace ,but how do you post pictures to a newsgroup I have a digital camera.
TIA
Tom

You should only post pictures to newsgroups that have the word "binary" in some form in the newsgroup name. Doing otherwise will get the pictures removed from many newsservers, and risks removal of the offending newsgroups on others.
Bob

for that matter) to anything except binary groups.
The manner the OP posted the pictures, by placing them on a web page and posting a URL to that web page is the only acceptable way of "posting" pictures to a text group.
There are several free web hosting sites out there, choose one, upload your picture, and post a link.
To post to a picture to a binary group, you would compose the message, and add the picture as an attachment. You appear to be using outlook express, so you should be able to browse to the picture on your hard drive, press the mouse button while over picture file, move the mouse pointer till it is over the message you are composing, and let go of the mouse button.
Another way is to find a program that will uuencode the message. This makes it into something that mail routers will not mess up when it routes the message. then you cut/paste the uuencoded file into the message.
Hope this helps.
--
be safe.
flip

them.
This is not a trivial or cheap job. You would be better off spending more money and finding a unit that fits the current fireplace.

Listen to Art, carefully. I wouldn't touch that project with my 10-foot pole. -B

Agreed, Thanks for your help!