fireplace insert info?

Hello all,
I'm thinking about putting in a fireplace insert to my masonry fireplace. Looking for info about brands and how much they help. The room is 17' x 28' family room and is cut off from the rest of the house by hallway and brick wall. Size of fireplace is 42" x 30"? x 24".
Thanks for any help,
Lee
If no answers here, suggest you post on alt.energy.homepower, where there is some expertise on inserts and wood stoves.