Fireplace Insert Info

I am doing my research to buy a fireplace insert, may adds describe that the units are non-catalytic and other catalytic, but no explaination of what each does/or does not do? Any help on this topic would be great.

I would be a little leery of claims of catalytic anything in an insert. Temperatures would not really be high enough for much of anything to function for long before it got sooted up and quit functioning anyway.
Might help if you stated whether you are looking at gas or wood though.
AMUN
If you are getting a gas unit, get one with ceramic glass and highly efficient so you can use it for heat in case of power failure. THe fan won't work without power but the ignition will.

Sorry, I am looking at a wood burning insert.
Thanks all, this is what I finally found. This make more sense now, with a catalytic converter looks like more work, AMUN, your correct... less headaches with non-catalytic... Thanks all.
How You Can Reduce Emissions The most effective means to reduce air pollution from wood-burning appliances is to buy a new, efficient, EPA-certified woodstove, or to install a catalytic combustor on your existing stove. Catalytic combustors are honeycomb-shaped devices that improve combustion efficiency by burning particulate matter and other gases before they escape up the stove pipe. Catalytic combustors come installed in some new stoves or may be retrofitted to them. They should be visually inspected at least three times every heating season and replaced according the manufacturer's recommendations. Some stove designs use baffles, secondary combustion chambers, and the introduction of secondary air to improve combustion efficiency.

Always amazed at some of the spin marketers can put on features that may have little or no real world value but cost the buyer big $$$$$.
Falls into the same category as foods at the grocery store that say "low in fat" on the label.
Wanna keep the air a bit cleaner ? The REAL most effective means to reduce air pollution from wood-burning appliances
Don't burn green wood or wood with paint on it. And learn to use the damper air control properly.
AMUN