fireplace grate

Years ago I was at a skiclub and there was this device that I would like to find. Basically the inside of the grate that held the burning wood was hollow. Outside in the room there was a small fan and flex pipe going to the grate blowing air through it. And on the other side of this grate the hot air exhausted into the room. Basically it pulled the heat off the grate and put it into the room & did quite well.
Does anyone know where one of these can be found? Or what its called?
TIA

There are several brands. One is Heatnglo - search on Google. Some add'l advice may be had at http://hearth.com/questions/qa944.html Another great newsgroup source is alt.energy.homepower, for advice
He also wanted to know what you call them. Aren't they called ventilators??
Not sure, but I think so..........
--James--
There was one in my fireplace when I bought my house. It was made by Sears. (one of their suppliers) I took it out after trying it for two winters. The cool air going into the tube/grates made it impossible to keep a good bed of coals going and I had to constantly stoke the fire with kindling to keep it from going out. Keeping a fire going was not a problem if the blower was turned off.

| Years ago I was at a skiclub and there was this device that I would like to | find. Basically the inside of the grate that held the burning wood was | hollow. Outside in the room there was a small fan and flex pipe going to the | grate blowing air through it. And on the other side of this grate the hot | air exhausted into the room. Basically it pulled the heat off the grate and | put it into the room & did quite well. | | Does anyone know where one of these can be found? Or what its called? | | TIA
We've had one similar, although not the same, to this design for the past 15 years. Ours has no back shield and only a 2 speed blower. It works very well and moves large amounts of hot air out of the fireplace. Using it with a ceiling fan and occasionally with only the blower on the furnace is very effective. We were told we would need to replace the tubes after about 5 years but so far none have burned through using about 5 days a week during Chicago winters.
http://www.ecofire.com/specifications.htm#existing
AAAARRRRGGGGG!
Fire BAAAAAAAAAAAD!
Fireplace GREAT!