Fireplace / Firebrick

We have a woodburning fireplace we are converting to gas logs. I am trying to drill a hole to accommodate the gas pipe through the floor in a front corner of the firebox to a utility space under the house. I get through the firebrick, about 3 1/2", and then hit something my carbide bit cannot penetrate.

Does anyone have a suggestion how to detect what I'm hitting? Do they use steel plate reinforcement in fireplace construction? Any help is appreciated.

Reply to
Larry Johnson

there was a steel plate in the top of mine. can you look at some shavings/dust coming out of the hole to see what it is? reinforced concrete (you hit rebar)?

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

There could be a steel pan filled with concrete under the firebox and in front of it. My gas pipe goes out the side and I think that is where gas logs and inserts expect it.

Reply to
Art

We originally planned on going in the side, but through the floor is much more direct with no need to run a pipe on the outside wall of the house. Do you think it's possible/wise to continue drilling?

Reply to
Larry Johnson

A neighbor has a pencil magnet. I'll see what that tells me.

Reply to
Larry Johnson

This is Turtle.

I can be wrong here but a Carbide bit will cut a fire brick but when it comes to a regular brick. It has hell doing so. I think you just hit a real cured plain brick. Now a Steel rebar or steel plate can be it.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

With a hammer drill and the right bit you can do it for sure.

Reply to
Art

You might want to use a slightly smaller bit with the hammer drill because holes usually come out large.

Reply to
Art