Fireplace Damper

I was recently sold into buying and installing a pull-type chained damper that is connected to the roof with the chimney cap. This is to replace our rusted old damper inside the lower area of the chimney.
I've never had a fireplace, but I was a bit hesitant into buying because I think I would like to visually see if the damper is closed.
Can you give me your unbiased opinion on the advantages and disadvantages of the top chimney cap mounted damper vs the type that rests inside the fireplace directly over the fire?
The top sealing damper closes off better than a throat damper. It is also easier and less expensive to install. Look at them on my commercial web site:
http://www.FireLogs.com/Lyemance.htm http://www.FireLogs.com/Literature-Lyemance.htm
--
John Galbreath Jr.
http://www.firelogs.com /