Fireplace cleanup?

I just bought a 20-year-old house with a fireplace - I'll never use the fireplace - it's been used before - after I clean out all the ash and crud, what's the best way to finish it off so it looks nice - after scraping and maybe using a wire brush the inside the firebox, would something as simple as some black spray paint be OK?
Rutland has a good brick & stone cleaner. Look through their site and you'll find what you need is suspect.
http://www.rutland.com/sfp1/link1.htm#83
RB
Texas Yankee wrote:

<< Subject: Re: Fireplace cleanup? From: RB snipped-for-privacy@spamfree.com Date: Tue, Jan 913, 27200402 1:51 PM
Rutland has a good brick & stone cleaner. Look through their site and you'll find what you need is suspect. >> ____Reply Separator_____ If it's a good cleaner, then why is it suspect?
snipped-for-privacy@aol.comic says...

He problably meant: "you'll find what you need, I suspect."
Regards,
George Wenzel
--
George Wenzel, B.A. (Criminology)