fireplace cleaning

I was looking at a house the other day and it had an interior gas fireplace (built around 2007 or so) that had been used. The back wall was blackish with ashes all around the fireplace. I was just wondering aside from vacuuming the ashes out, is there a safe effective way to get the black out of the back wall to make it look like the fireplace was not used?

What is the back wall made from? If brick, you'll never get it truly clean like it was never used. If it is metal, a lot of scrubbing with cleaning chemicals and you may have a chance, but it will never be perfect.
Since it is a gas fireplace, I'm wondering why the ash and black are there in the first place.
Hey, its a fireplace, it is supposed to look black and used.

Not really sure what it is made of. For whatever reason, this fireplace had a piece of chared wood instead of a gas log.... hence the reason for the ashes.
On 4/1/2012 1:24 AM, Doug wrote:

I'd say the answer is no. I tried to clean one up when I sealed it off and put in an electric heater insert. The brick around the fireplace was infused with black and no soap, detergent or bleach would remove it. Maybe you can paint yours over.
On 4/1/2012 12:24 AM, Doug wrote:

I doubt that it can be cleaned to your standards. What about painting the whole thing a uniform flat black?
--

___________________________________

Keep the whole world singing . . .
Doug wrote:

Carbon is slightly soluble in liquid iron - that's how they make steel - and, according to my CRC Handbook, virtually nothing else.
Inasmuch as there is no viable chemical solution to your problem, you'll have to rely on a mechanical solution, i.e., scrubbing or removing the top layer of the fireplace bricks.
You might consider wallpapering over the ugly-looking black stuff.
Either carbon tetrachloride, or carbon disulphide. Can't remember which, but it dissolves carbon. It's been about 35 years since I needed this information.
The fire fighting technique for a fire in a vat of carbon disulphide is really unique. I'll leave everyone to guess. You can also ask me......
Carbon is slightly soluble in liquid iron - that's how they make steel - and, according to my CRC Handbook, virtually nothing else.
Inasmuch as there is no viable chemical solution to your problem, you'll have to rely on a mechanical solution, i.e., scrubbing or removing the top layer of the fireplace bricks.
You might consider wallpapering over the ugly-looking black stuff.
On 4/1/2012 10:50 AM, HeyBub wrote:

carbon burns.

I painted one flat high heat black.
I had some success scrubbing front bricks with high alkaline, greased lightning.
Greg

For whatever reason, someone used a piece of wood to burn in this fireplace and it was chared when I looked at it. I have no idea why they didn't use a gas log unless they were didn't want to spend for the gas and gas log.

Thanks all for the replies !!!!!