Fireplace/chimney needs closing

I just bought a home recently and there is no damper to close off the chimney. There is a (bird) cap on top, but I want to close off the whole thing because I don't want my cats climbing up in it.
I need a very cheap and very easy suggestion on how to fix this. I have considered fireplace doors, but can't afford them right now. I have no money and no expertise in home improvement.
Any ideas?
I just bought a home recently and there is no damper to close off the

I just stuffed a folded fibreglas blanket up the flue, so that it fit tightly. Big box stores sell 4" and 6" batts or rolls of this stuff for wall insulation. Get the smallest amount you can buy, and preferably unlined, with no paper backing. You can trim to size with a large pair of scissors. This will stop all drafts, and may even discourage your cats. Here is a picture of the stuff:
http://www.littlebrothers.org/houghton/building/insulate/batts.jpg

Flattened cardboard box and duct tape. Sell the cats.