Fireplace brick insert smashed, cost to fix?

Have a gas fireplace that the back wall has the brick smashed pretty good and has about a 2" x 6" hole in it. What type of cost should I expect to fix something like this? Can just a part of the back wall be replaced or does it require a whole new fireplace insert?

Reply to
Al Franz

curious how did it get smashed?

Reply to
hallerb

When you refer to the insert, what brand and model number is it? Many times this can be found around the outside or just inside the lip of the opening. Info will be on a plate riveted to the frame. If inside, you will need a flashlight, rag, and good eyes to harvest the information. Repairs might be as simple as buying a replacement backwall and installing it.

Reply to
CDET 14

Not sure was damaged by a previous owner. Actually it is the "firebox" that is damaged. Will have to find out more information.

Reply to
Al Franz

It shouldnt be too much trouble. Sounds like all you need to do is replace a few brick. When my gas insert was installed the brick was damaged when the hole for the gas pipe was made. Apparently this happens all the time because the guys that installed it had fire bricks and refactory mortar mix with them. I get the feeling this is not exactly what you are talking about.

Reply to
Jimmie D