Firepit on a Wood Deck

You know those outdoor firepits you put wood in and have screens like fireplace screens? Well, they say to not use on a wood deck. But what if I put stone pavers below it and out two or three feet? Would they radiate the heat enough to keep the deck from catching fire? Would the occasional spark that escapes the screen fly more than two feet?

Probably, but stuff happens. Could be risky.

yes. i know mine does, at least. they go up too, and might land quite a bit further than 2'. wind causes.

If you're right there watching it, it doesn't matter, because you can just step on any flung embers and put them out. If you have a fire going when you're *NOT* watching it, you deserve to have your house burn down anyway. Where is your fire extinguisher, anyway?
--Goedjn

Garage, just outside kitchen door.
Master bedroom, near second-story emergency escape ladder.
Basement.
I'm the original poster of the firepit-on-a-wood-deck question. My conclusion is to not do it.
consdier a chiminea
http://hearth.com/what/chimineause.html
On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 11:16:31 -0500, someone wrote:

that a small ember could get between where is can't be stepped on easily, and/or be in contact with the joists below, or if there is any accumulation of leaves or other debris under, etc. etc. You make your judgements and you take your chances. Everything has risk.
-v..
I have a chiminea on my wood deck. It is on a 3' square slab of bluestone. If a roaring fire is going, once in a blue moon an amber will make it off the bluestone. The fire pits are more exposed to the wind, then again, they have the screen. So the bottom line is same as anything else. There is a certain amount of risk involved, as long as you understand and mitigate it (i.e. don't leave it unattended), you will not have a problem. And make sure the embers are really OUT before you go to bed.
A single ember landing on the deck will at most leave a cosmetic mark if there is someone watching it. You did'nt build with balsa did you?
I can visualize you explaining to your insurance adjuster examining your burned down house how someone on the internet said it would be ok.

On 15 Dec 2004 06:14:01 -0800, someone wrote:

down their houses starting with a deck fire.
Personally, I would not charcoal or gas barbeque on a wood deck, but many people do. (I have a raised stone patio; gravel fill inside timber crib, just for the grill, but many people would have just had a deck there.)
You wanna do it, go ahead, its your deck. And if it catches fire, don't come running to us. You were warned.
-v.
A friend melted a bunch of vinyl siding off his house with an out of control grill. I use a high quality Weber gas grill on a wood deck. It is designed to be used closed to keep the hot air in. Would be pretty hard to burn anything down with it.