Fire starting candles - what are they called.

I had a box of these candles that you place under the wood you are trying to get started burning for a fire. Campfires, fireplaces etc. They look like tea lights but the entire thing burns up even the wax and the wax paper covering. They make a very hot flame unlike some of the other fire starting products and last about 10 minutes or so. Anyone know what these things are called?
On Sat, 09 Feb 2008 17:44:54 -0800, poison_1024 wrote:

Hexamine? Used to cook with them in the forces.
--
Liverpool. European City Of Culture 2008
http://www.liverpool08.com

Dunno, but I googled and found this site that tells you all this stuff to use. It's sort of interesting.
http://www.campfiredude.com/fire-starters.shtml

on the last Survivor TV episode,Yau-man used his glasses with a drop of water on a lens as a magnifier to start a fire on their first day. He lit coconut fiber for a starter.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

poison snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in

pinecones work very well. they're full of turpentine.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

There are a lot of pine cones where I live. I know people who keep a bunch around for starting fires.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com