fire smoke dampers

Hello I'm installing a HVAC system that is supplying a mixed use occupancy. A dwelling unit, and a very large garage. These occupancies are separated by a fire wall as required by the local code. It seems to me, that I need a fire dampers on the supply and return ducts as they are passing through the firewall, but do I need fire smoke combination dampers? Of course they are much more expensive, and as far as I can see it's a fire wall, not a smoke barrier that is required between these occupancies.
--
Thanks
William.......

occupancy.
the
Installing with out an approved set of plans?
Anything that passes through a fire wall needs special attention. What rating is your fire wall? Assuming that a fire wall does not control smoke is not correct.
Get in contact with the building inspection authority and find out.

separated
need
they
The wall requirements are for 1 hr and 20 min door for the above. I'm using a 2 hr wall and 90 min doors so a 1.5 hr damper is all that would be required for either wall as far as I can see from reading about the specs for the dampers. Docs seem to say you don't need a 3hr damper untill you get to 3 or greater rated walls...
William

separated
need
they

I do not think having return are from a garage would very wise even if allowed by code

Three words for you here.... Authority Having Jurisdiction....You need to check with local codes to see what they want. Every state, city and town are different. There is alot more that factors into this also...number of floors above ground, maximum number of occupants, etc, etc....