Fire Safety for the Holidays

A local fire department has been showing a "Fire Safety for the Holidays" short *commercial* on TV.

They cover the usual fire issues with LIVE Christmas trees, and safe cooking procedures, such as not leaving an oven or other cooking unattended and so on.

But they said that when leaving you home, all ELECTRONICS should be shut off. This includes the TV, computer, radio, stereo, and so on.... (You should do that anyhow to save power.).

But these days electronics are found in almost everything. For example,

LED or CF lightbulbs GFCI outlets Arc Fault breakers Light Dimmer switches Modern furnaces. kitchen ranges, home security systems, microwave ovens, and even refrigerators.

Even your cellphone, (but most people take that with them)...

Anyhow, if I was to follow their statements exactly, I would have to shut off the power to my home entirely everytime I go away.....

Reply to
Paintedcow

Shut down the fridge. Warm beer aint all bad.

Reply to
Thomas

That's right, my fridge has an inverter to run the compressor at various speed depending on demand. Shutting off all electronics is just plain dumb. I don't want to shut of my DVR. Cordless phones have to be on. Almost all A/V stuff has a soft shut off where some electronics always stays on, if not just the power supply. And even my furnace has lots of electronics in it, so I guess I have to shut off the main breaker and hope the pipes don't freeze.

Reply to
Art Todesco

yeah yu will be marginally safer......

another way to increase safety is to never go anywhere in a vehicle. never use one EVER!

Reply to
bob haller

snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo posted for all of us...

I suspect from his previous trolls that he/she/it has either misinterpreted or made up what was stated.

Reply to
Tekkie®