fire rated drywall req's?

Is fire rated drywall required on a basement ceiling? I'm checking local codes as well, but any input is appreciated.

tia,

Joe

The same code that applies to other ceilings should apply. Some require 5/8 for all ceilings. Some only require 5/8 for enclosing furnace rooms. Best to call the inspector. All drywall has a good fire rating, its just varies based on thickness to determine the amount of time it will hold back a fire.

Reply to
windcrest

"All" drywall is _NOT_ the same as Type-X (firewall rated) drywall. It has a fire-resistant/retardant paper cover and includes glass fibre and/or other materials to help retain mechanical integrity longer in case of fire than will standard drywall. Look up the spec's on any of the gypsum products manufacturers' sites.

I've never seen any place that requires it in all living areas other than commercial/rental/condo's/etc.; not in residential other than garage/utility areas with furnace or similar.

Can't hurt; highly unlikely to be required except for specific areas.

--

Reply to
dpb

In Chiacago Fire code X 5/8" is mandatory in apt building basement ceilings, HD had it and its stamped. So is Fire caulk about 11$ a tube. The city made me put in about 120 sheets. Call your code office.

Reply to
ransley

Generally, fire-rated materials are required to separate fire zones. That can mean between a common hallway and a dwelling unit. It could be between a mechanical room and a dwelling unit. I don't know if I've even seen it required within a fire zone (dwelling unit) but I don't tend to work in large cities (which could have significantly different rules).

Reply to
PatM

In a single family residential home the only places that are required to have a "firewall" are Boiler rooms walls and ceiling , the wall between the garage and house , if attached , on the garage side ALL THE WAY TO THE ROOF and the ceiling in a garage if there is living space over it...In commercial applications it is pretty much required everywhere with double layer 5/8 on party walls , hallways , stairwells , elevator shafts and boiler rooms...But as always check with your Code Enforcement Officer to be doubly sure....Hope that helps....

Reply to
benick

good advice here, checked the codes too.

thanks everyone for the input.

Joe