Fire Extinguishers - when need to replace?

Sounds like Trader thinks people don't want to be bothered by the official intrusions. I can agree.

I'd like all home owners to have at least three units, two in house and one for each vehicle, at minimum. Will that happen? Not likely.

Lot of things I'd like to see, but won't happen.

So, Tony. What kind of safety things you do, as a matter of routine? As for me, I've got a first aid kit at home, and one in each vehicle. The one in the Van is a $10 Walmart kit, the Blazer has a tool box with a lot of first aid stuff. I also have a Walmart ten dollar kit in the Blazer some where.

My tin box, sweet tin box, has both smoke and CO detectors. Which get alkaline batteries twice a year with clock change.

. Christ> snipped-for-privacy@>> People having a fire

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Why have a cheap fe inspected when you can buy a new one for the same $$? The inspector is going to look at the gauge, the date of manufacture and look for corrosion or damage and send you on your way. Less $20 of course. I can do that for free

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

None of that has anything to do with showing us an ordinance that says if you have a fire extinguisher in your house, then it has to undergo yearly inspection. And it would be cheaper just throwing out the typical home fire extinguisher, than the cost of having an inspection done on it every year. If the typical home fire extinguisher is only good for a year or two and this is a real valid public safety issue, they why don't the manufacturers have an expiration date right on them? I'm betting that if the charge indicator is in the green, there is a 99% chance the thing is going to work. And any place that requires a yearly inspection of a fire extinguisher if you choose to have one has to be nuts, because it's just going to make 90% of people that would have an extinguisher say to hell with it. Plus it would be just about unenforceable.

Reply to
trader4

They are required here in NJ when you get a CO, ie for new contruction, sale, renting, etc. You have to have one in a visible spot in the kitchen.

Reply to
trader4

ACtually that is the way it works for commercial, inspection every year then pressure test/recharge (or just replace) after six.

Now I have never heard of this being required for private residences... apartment/condo complexes undoubtedly, but only for the required ones in the hallways.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Put that under IRS and Obama care like everything else?

. Christ>

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Thanks.

It was only the valve cover. Hard to find one but not a lot of damage.

I definitely used more than a spritz of ether. I didn't see any fire near the detached spark plug wire, but maybe there was but it was invisiible?

If not at that sparkplug wire, did the ether get into the cylinders, up through the valve guides and into the valve cover?

Or maybe there was some vacuum hose into the valve cover and the ether got in that way? a 1970 Ford full-size convertible.

I never did understand how the ether got in the valve cover.

Reply to
micky

Which of course is another nutty KRW opinion. If a fire is so extensive that you can't get out, the typical, small home fire extinguisher is unlikely to change that. In my world, a fire extinguisher is typically used to put out a small fire, like a stove fire, before it has time to spread.

Reply to
trader4

In my world, situational awareness is what helps keep me safe. Also working smoke detector, which gets a brand new battery twice a year. And the monoxide detector also gets new batteries (two AA) twice a year.

As with my esteemed colleague, FE is only for very small fires. If I'm not 100% plus percent sure I can put it out with one FE, I'm on the phone to 911 to call for fire department to do their thing. Might go to two FE, if I'm really pumping adrenaline and lose track of time. But no more than three. Or four. I can stop any time I want. Honest. Honey, get me another FE, and be quick about it!

In public places, or if I can see the fire is spreading (school, nursing home, or grass fire) call 911 for fire department BEFORE going after the fire. The minute earlier response may save my own self, or someone else.

. Christ>> OTOH, a FE likely to be seen in a home has one

If a fire is so

home fire extinguisher is unlikely to change that. In my world, a fire extinguisher is typically used to put out a small fire, like a

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Only more proof of what a moronic ass Trader is. I suppose you would go into a burning structure armed with a FE. You prove me more right with every post. trader. You are indeed ARE a dumbshit!

Reply to
krw

I'd go in, if I was fairly sure the fire was small at that moment, and could be extinguished. Guess I'm a moronic ass, too.

. Christ> On Tue, 17 Sep 2013 04:30:16 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net" >>

fire extinguisher is unlikely to change that. In my world, a fire extinguisher is typically used to put out a small fire, like a

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Strawman detected. Strawman rejected. I never said anything about entering a burning building, neither did anyone else.

You made the remarkable claim:

"OTOH, a FE likely to be seen in a home has one purpose in life; to get your ass out."

Well, how dumb is that? I would bet that in 99%+ of the times a fire extinguisher is used, it's not being used so that you can get out of a burning house. If the house is so compromised by fire that you can't just exit through a window, door, etc, how the hell are you supposed to get to, find, and then use a fire extinguisher to make your exit? And at that point, what difference is a small home fire extinguisher likely to make? Usually you're most immediately endangered and incapacitated by the smoke, the fire itself is often in another part of the house. And God knows where the fire extinguisher is, unless you keep one in each room.

On the other hand, home fire extinguishers are used every day by homeowners to put out small fires, before they spread and burn down the house. According to you, if the top of the stove or oven or a trash can catches fire, you're supposed to take the fire extinguisher and do what? Carry it out with you as you head to the door? You can do that. The rest of us would use the fire extinguisher to put out the small fire.

And as usual, the pointless name calling when you're on the losing end of an argument is noted.

Reply to
trader4

Now, seriously. What use would Usenet be, if we all made sense, and treated each other politely?

. Christ>

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Go bah anutter wun. And not behan th fahr!

. Christ> .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Commercial grade fire extinguishers are required to be inspected by a licen sed inspector annually. They require a 6 year maintenance and a 12 year hy dro test. Any dry chemical FE manufactured prior to October 1984 should be replaced as these FE's no longer meet current code standards. You NEVER w ant to just squeeze the lever a little bit to see if they still work becaus e doing so will slowly release all the explant gas and render the FE useles s when you later might need it. If there is no visual damage to the unit, the gauge is in the green, the hose is unobstructed, you can weigh the FE and make sure it's gross weight is within the range on the label. Most home use FE's are a one-time use FE that CANNOT be serviced or recharg ed and should be replaced every 12 years. When it comes to fire safety, all it takes is one time. If the fire is sma ll enough to put out with your FE, a catastrophe can easily be avoided. Th e cost of a couple FE's for your home or business is a small price to pay. If the fire is too big, leave it to the fire department and save your life .

Reply to
hedzred

[...]

Some wisdom in what you write.

A couple years ago, I took a couple very old Fyr Fyter units out of a couple trailers. No pressure gage, just a push button on one, not sure about the other. I figured they were useless. Tried them out later (outdoors on a fire in a burn barrel). Both were about 20 years old, and both functioned as designed. I was astounded. I'm also pleased that the trailers havd new Kidde units.

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

And someday maybe we'll make buildings out of materials that don't burn.

Reply to
Senator Pocketstuffer

I was just moving things, looking at an extinguisher. Took it out back and sprayed. Shoots out a strong stream of liquid. Not for electrical it says. I'm not going to squirt it at a grease stove fire. AB rated. No guage

Greg

Reply to
gregz

Asbestos?

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

AB rated is likely loaded scream. It's designed for grease stove fires. If used properly.

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon