Fire Extinguishers - when need to replace?

The hread about freon, etc. was very educational.

Brought up a question bothering me: How can one tell if FE is still OK?

Mine is a very old Kidde, big red puppy; A.B.C. Indicator is still in the green, albeit leaning toward the left (recharge).

Has never been used(thank goodness!)

However, I don't want to find out the hard way that it is over the hill.

Can I squeeze the lever a little, to see if it works? Don't hit me; I'm just ignorant!

The new ones that size range from $40+ on up. I'm not trying to nickel & dime my home's safety; just want to know if there's a way to test this. If the test shows it's still good, fine. If it shows no good, at least I know what to do, $$ notwithstanding.

Any help appreciated.

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

Hi, I take it to service center for annual check up. If needed they'll recharge it. Local code requirement.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Thanks everybody. I should do SOMETHING because it's hard to believe that a FE literally DECADES old could still be good. But then what do I know?

Also, you-all are right about one is not enuff. Tx!

Kidde Web site says if in green still OK, but it's really old. No Help available on Kidde site. No local service listed. Not helpful site.

Trying to find general FE service center only one listed.

What do you mean by "local code requirement"? Who has this? Fire Department? Or City?

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

I heard about a school teacher who opened the valve just a bit, and filled the entire room with white powder:)

He was replaced before the next year.....

another funny from that school, they caught the students printing bogus 20s......

their printing equiptement was excellent

Reply to
bob haller

Hi, Local city FD fireman come around house to house to check on smoke detectors, FE(if you do have one or more in the house) better have annual check up tag by certified sservice center. Law does not require you to have FE, but if you do, they want to make sure it is in good working order. If you are running a business, it is mandatory to have FE. I think it's good for the insurance coverage too.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

For a residence? Very few if any places require FE's for private homes.

The smallest ones ones are not worth recharging.

I think my small Kidde ABC was 10 or 15 years old when I needed it. Worked fine. Gauge had been in the green.

I took a pot off the stove and put it on a cloth pot holder. Later I put it back on the stove. Fortunately I sit at the kitchen table facing the sliding glass door. Looked in the window and eventually realized I was watching flames. The pot holder had stuck to the pot when I put the pot back on the stove. Wait. That's the one I stomped out. Very small by the time the cloth hit the floor.

The Kidde was for a fire in the oven. Worked fine. 10 or 15 years old. It would have been hard to test it without letting a lot out.

I'd buy a second one for the primary location and put this one in a secondary location, but after that, I'd rely on the green gauge.

Reply to
micky

I disagree with the pressure gauge needle reading being the sole determinant of whether the FE is still good. Where I live, there is a fire code that requires all fire extinguishers in commercial buildings to be serviced every two years and recharged every 7 years (or something like that). The reason for this is that the white powder inside the FE can consolidate to form a big "clump" which won't come out of the nozzle if and when the day comes when you need that fire extinguisher to work properly. In that case, the propellant gas will come out of the FE, but not the white powder.

So, every couple of years, I have to take my three fire extinguishers in for "servicing", and basically, all that involves is putting the fire extinguisher in an apparatus that holds it horizontal and locates it's center of gravity. The fire extinguisher is then shaken and the location of the center of gravity determined again. If the white powder inside it has clumped together, then the center of gravity of the FE won't move because the powder inside didn't get redistributed when the FE was shaken. If it did move, then it's because the powder was redistributed when the FE was shaken. That determines whether or not the powder inside it is still loose and will flow freely when the FE is used, or if it's clumped together so that it won't flow out of the FE as a thick "fog" of particles.

And, every 7 years I have to have all three fire extinguishers recharged, and that basically involves replacing the powder and propellant in the FE and costs considerably more than just having it serviced.

If you're required to have your fire extinguisher recharged, THAT's when you want to pull the pin on it and use it LIKE you would in an emergency because the powder and propellant is going to be replaced anyhow. But, be prepared for a big white clowd of dust to come out of it that will sit in your driveway for days. (Maybe go to an empty field to use the FE.)

There are different fire code requirements for fire extinguishers. For example, here in Winnipeg they made it mandatory that all fire extinguishers in commercial buildings dispense their powder through a hose, and not just a nozzle. Apparantly, people were saying that holding the fire extinguisher so that the nozzle was pointed at the base of the fire was harder than just holding the fire extinguisher and pointing the end of the hose at the base of the fire. So, whether or not your fire extinguisher needs to be equipped with a hose or not depends on your local fire code.

Also, fire extinguishers are rated according to the weight of the powder inside them. My local fire code requires that I have a five pound fire extinguisher on each floor. That means there's 5 pounds of powder inside the FE. But, other places could require a 10 pound FE instead.

Reply to
nestork

Invert, shake, thump, shake.

Walmart. Buy two or three more.

I'm not sure who handles recharge codes. Building department, most likely. For commercial buildings.

. Christ>

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I heard about a part time employee who absentmindedly leaned on a dry chem unit that was hanging on the wall. The resulting discharge shut down the fast food restaurant for the rest of the day for cleaning.

. Christ> I heard about a school teacher who opened the valve

just a bit, and filled the entire room with white powder:)

printing bogus 20s......

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

The hread about freon, etc. was very educational.

Brought up a question bothering me: How can one tell if FE is still OK?

Mine is a very old Kidde, big red puppy; A.B.C. Indicator is still in the green, albeit leaning toward the left (recharge).

Has never been used(thank goodness!)

However, I don't want to find out the hard way that it is over the hill.

Can I squeeze the lever a little, to see if it works? Don't hit me; I'm just ignorant!

The new ones that size range from $40+ on up. I'm not trying to nickel & dime my home's safety; just want to know if there's a way to test this. If the test shows it's still good, fine. If it shows no good, at least I know what to do, $$ notwithstanding.

Any help appreciated.

HB

After reading all the replies, I will check mine with the balance then shake and recheck balance. I keep one in each vehicle. One in kitchen. One in garage and two in basement and work shop area. Thanks for all the answers found here. WW

Reply to
WW

The one time I had to run for FE, I'd lit my lawn mower on fire. Gas, air, spark. And off it went. I'd just drained some gas out of the carb, to drain off any water. Pulled the spark plug and pull the rip cord to check for spark.

Well, I find out that I had air, gasoline, gas- air mix, and spark, all in the same place.

One of those moments where it all made sense, later, how that happened.

. Christ>

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

At work I have a local company inspect the FE every year. It is an OSHA requirement. I forget the details but every X years it has to be pressure tested and refilled. The cost is reasonable, much less than a new unit.

In our case, we have about 40 units so they come to us, but you can take yours to them. Check the yellow pages for fire equioment.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Probably.

I think in this case the door was closed when the fire started.

Reply to
micky

I know a guy who set off the Ansul system in his restaurant. In the process of cleaning up the mess, he threw out all of the food in his walk-in and freezer. The next day he found out that the "chemical" was baking soda. D'oh!

The opposite; a cow-orker had a kitchen fire and used a dry-chemical FW to put out the fire. The chemical ruined every switch and piece of electronics in the house. When the insurance agent found out what happened, he said it would have been better to do nothing.

Reply to
krw

I did something like that with my brother's car.

It wouldn't start, parked face first in a garage, going to be hard to jump the battery so I was trying to same battery time. Sprayed ether in the carb to help it start at the same time I used a jumper wire to crank the engine, with a spark plug wire off and a screwdriver in the connector to see if there was a spark.

The thing exploded in my face. But I didn't move a bit. Good thing or I would have driven the edge of the hood into the back my neck. Or banged my head on the inside of the hood. No injuries, no burns.

I was fine but the valve cover near me had lifted up from the head in

5 or 6 places, between bolts. A couple of the bolt holes in the valve cover were ripped open.

Maybe I should have tried the Ford dealer. Or I did and they had to order it. Ordering parts too much longer in those days (1973) and I couldn't tell my brother that his car wasn't ready. All I tried were auto-parts stores and they didn't sell original-quality valve covers. In NYC auto junk yards are far away, I think. I didn't know of any, still don't.

So I bought a pair of chrome valve covers, and only put on one of them. I'm glad my brother is an understanding guy. Especially since I didn't get his car started for him iirc.

Reply to
micky

Me Three! Stuff I did not know, like upending and shaking to loosen up possibly caked powder!

Think I will get another for the kitchen.

Re: Inspection, sounds like that would be for business, not private home. Interesting thought: Would fire insurance not pay or pay less if homeowner hadn't had any FEs in the house?

OK, this has been wunderbar. You guys may have saved somebody's *** among the AHRrs who are reading this exchange.

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

Are they in Congress now? Much easier way to steal. No equipment needed.

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

I think the guy who gave me my first FE also recommended a thing that looks like a vinyl ketchup bottle, all red, with a screw on pointed cap with a hole in it and something inside. He keeps it in his kitchen to sprinkle on small fires.

Also the CO2 extinguishers are probably testable. IIUC a short squeeze of the handle only puts out a little, and CO2 ones are bigger in the first place. But I've never had one. For one thing, they're more money, take up more space and they aren't ABC.

I forget which letter is missing, but it seemed important.

Reply to
micky

Most fires, the ordinary citizen is the first on the scene. A home owner with a FE will do more good for the world than fire trucks after a ten minute response time. I applaud you for having a FE, and also for caring about your self and others.

. Christ> Me Three! Stuff I did not know, like upending

and shaking to loosen up possibly caked powder!

business, not private home. Interesting thought: Would fire insurance not pay or pay less if homeowner hadn't had any FEs in the house?

saved somebody's *** among the AHRrs who are reading this exchange.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

The bottle of stuff is probably dry chem powder.

Carbon dioxide units are BC rated. And the don't do very well on either of those. Carbon dioxide units are checked for fill, by weight. The tag should say the empty and full weights.

Their only advantage is that they are relatively clean. No powder to sweep and mop up.

Disadvantages include heavy, noisy, and might not put out the fire. So, no powder to clean up and also no vehicle or building cause it burned down.

. Christ>

Reply to
Stormin Mormon