Fire Department poles they use to remove boards

A boat hook is probably close...they come in different lengths, telescoping.

Reply to
Norminn

When the fire departments are putting out fires they have long poles with a hook on the end to grab and remove boards.

In the process of demolishing an old house, I could use one of them. I suspect the hooks are sold separately and are put onto long dowels.

Does anyone know what these hooks or the whole poles are called? I want to see if I can get such a thing online. They are not sold at the local stores. If I cant get them, I can probably get the local machine shop to make me a hook, but I need to see a photo so I know what they look like. If I know the name, I can google photos.

Thanks

Reply to
tangerine3

Just to get the discussion going: is it possible what you're seeing is a "gaff"?

Art

Reply to
Arthur Shapiro

My old department called them "pike poles"

I'm sure you can buy as many, online, as you desire and can afford.

.

In the process of demolishing an old house, I could use one of them. I suspect the hooks are sold separately and are put onto long dowels.

Does anyone know what these hooks or the whole poles are called? I want to see if I can get such a thing online. They are not sold at the local stores. If I cant get them, I can probably get the local machine shop to make me a hook, but I need to see a photo so I know what they look like. If I know the name, I can google photos.

Thanks

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Might be local dialect, but near me it's called a "halligan" after chief Halligan.

And, this web site calls them Hooligans.

I wonder if anyone (except me) remembers Chief Halligan's three rules for fire fighting? One "attaboy" for anyone who remembers all three.

.

Possibly a 'hook pike'? I've never seen any that were more than about 5 or

6 feet long though. There is a shorter tool sometimes called a 'hooligan bar' which is used to force entry through and pry apart almost anything but that is even shorter and I don't see any way one could be extended.
Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Thanks to all who replied. Yes, the Pike Pole is what I was looking for. It helps to know the name.....

Because this house of partly collapsed, I need a way to grab boards that are still up on higher places, as well as those that have fallen into the basement, but are still on top of the lowest floor which now sits at a 45 deg. angle, with one end still on the foundation, and the rest in the basement.

Little by little I'm getting this place torn down. Unless it rains, an entire wall with tall gable is going to come down tomorrow, which will bring down the highest part of the building still standing. This wall is about 20ft. tall. I have a steel cable wrapped around the whole wall, and another 50ft. of cable across the lawn, so I'm 50 feet away. I'm looking forward to this part. Hook my tractor to the thing and bring it down, along with about 8 feet of the back wall, which I left attached to keep the wall standing. I cut away the rest of that back wall with my chainsaw. With any luck that remaining part of the back wall will come down with the rest of it.

Actually it's kind of fun tearing this place down, except for the cleanup afterwards. Yesterday I pushed the brick chimney down by hand. I didn't think that was possible till it hit the ground. It was leaning toward the rear, and I just gave it a hard shove and down it came.

Reply to
tangerine3

*How about posting some pictures of the process?
Reply to
John Grabowski

Safety is a good thing. Overnight, I've remembered something. The advice is (wearing helmet with face protection) poke up, look up. Pull down, look down. The idea being that when you're pulling down wood, you want as much face protection as possible. So, you pull the face shield down, and also tilt your head down, so the face shield does the most good.

You likely know to look for nails, before chain sawing. One nail will dull your saw instantly. Same with rocks, gravel, and tree roots.

.

[...]

As an ex-fireman, I can assure you they are named a pike pole and are marketed as same. You can purchase them as one piece or in separate parts:

nb

Reply to
notbob

And that the Hooligan Bar is really a Halligan Bar. (Although there is probably some reason to call it that, too-grin).

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

I was a firefighter in the USAF and in '66 stationed in Libya NA, during the Six-Day War. At one time during that dustup, we had reports enraged Libyans were about to storm the walls of our airbase. Firefighters are not armed, so we hadda grab whatever was available. I grabbed a pike pole, a lethal piece of hardware, pikemen once making up a large part of any Middle Ages army. I'm happy to report, the attack never materialized. ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob

Well one of the two classes of vehicle (and crew) used by the New York Fire Department is "Hook and Ladder." Perhaps they call hooks "hooks."

Reply to
Don Phillipson

On 3/29/2012 9:57 AM, notbob wrote: snip...

Hey, I was at an officially non-existent location in Pakistan during that fun time. In theory we had the Pakistani military protecting us and, they assured us, had nothing to worry about despite the screaming armed mob outside the walls. I figured that the guards needed guards. Me, I kept an automatic under my pillow when I went to sleep despite USAF regulations to the contrary. Sometimes it is useful being in a country where one can buy any weapon from a slingshot to heavy artillery with no questions asked...

John McGaw

Likewise, we had an excellent on-base gun club, but it would have almost impossible to conceal a weapon of any kind in the common bunkroom of our firestation. Besides, this was back when Libya was an extremely poor nation and before every other Muslim male, regardless of age, was packing an AK47. If the screaming hoards had come over the wall, they no doubt would have been armed with weapons even less lethal that a 6' pike pole. I can imagine how the situation would have been drastically different in your time/place.

nb

Reply to
notbob

One of the sites that I went to for "pike pole" said the reason for the words "Hook and Ladder" was named as such because of the HOOK on the pike pole, and obviously the ladder is self explanitory.

Reply to
_Ex-AA_Forever#742829.00

Hopefully the chimney came down better than this silo did:

.

Reply to
Ron

Ouch ! Hope he was wearing a hard hat, safety glasses and safety boots... :-L

Reply to
Attila.Iskander