Fire damaged Briggs & Stratton 5.5HP horizontal engine - repair or replace?

My leaf vacuum tow-behind tipped over on its side while the engine was running. A fire ensued and most of the plastic parts - fuel tank, air filter housing, pull-start, etc. - were vaporized or incinerated beyond recognition. The block appears to be fine and makes glug-glug noises when I turn the blower impeller.
I am reasonably handy - self-performed car repairs on occasion like alternators, even a carburetor rebuild many years ago. Any advice whether it would be foolhardy to buy replacement parts and rebuild the existing engine, versus just buying a new one? I think I might save between 100 and 200 USD if I just buy parts (and it works when I'm finished).
Also - are other small engines designed to fit where the B&S used to sit? E.G. I see a "Duro-Power" on the net that has fewer plastic parts and looks very similar.
Advice welcomed . . . TIA
John in Ohio

Internally the engine should be fine, the carb _may_ be salvageable but I wouldn't bet one it.. You might have to replace the crank oil seals. I suspect that you will find the coast of needed parts will come close to equally a new engine.
Most small engines are built for standard mounting bolt patterns and crank shaft diameter. Clearance to housings, etc., may be a concern.
Harry K.
make a list check it twice visit a local B&S dealer and probably find a new engine is cheaper than all the parts needed.
dont buy the parts just get a quote then go him and think about it

Find a mower or something used with the same basic motor and either swap the motor or the parts as needed.
Bob F wrote:

Get an identical replacement for the ~$200 from http://www.northerntool.com or similar and keep the remains of the incinerated one as a source of parts to maintain the new one.

If you do decide to repair it, find a junker from your neighbor for most of the parts. If that fails, see your local "small engine guy". They always have a pile of junkers out back. You may find all you need off one of them at a big discount.
Harry K