Fire bowl on a wood deck

Page 1 of 2
I've been using a small fire bowl with impunity on a painted wood deck. Last time around, though, I kept the fire going for several hours and the paint showed some localized discoloration.
I've now purchased a new fire bowl, about twice the capacity, and the directions are pretty clear about not using it on a wood deck. I'm planning to have larger fires, and wondering what I can use between the bowl and the deck that might insulate the wood from the heat. Ideas?
On Fri, 09 Dec 2011 21:11:59 -0800, Smitty Two

A 3 or 4 decorative bricks?

Smitty Two wrote:

Asbestos
--

dadiOH
____________________________

A wood burner? If it was my house, you'd move the fire pit 30' from the house on the masonry patio.
If it is a gas burner, then I'd do what the manufacturer said to do to protect nearby combustible surfaces.
Jim

Most gas appliances are designed to be operated on a wood floor.
Often they have thermal safety devices that shut off the supply of gas if the appliance overheats.
On 12/10/2011 5:19 PM, Sigmund Freud wrote:

operating locations.

Why don't you just buy a firepit designed and listed for use on a wooden deck? That way, when you burn your house down while using it, the insurance company might pay the claim.

if he's worried about scorching his wood deck,just put a few pavers under the fire pit. He seems to have the ember problem covered. Or he could get fancy,put the pavers on a small rollaround platform,and the fire pit on top of that,so he can place it wherever he likes.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Smitty Two wrote:

Especially since you wrote, "I'm planning to have larger fires", it seems like a bad idea (of course).
But, if you still want to do it, maybe you could just place the fire bowl on top of a layer of landscape pavers similar to these: http://www.homedepot.com/Outdoors-Garden-Center-Landscape-Supplies-Pavers-Step-Stones/h_d1/N-5yc1vZbx4b/R-202282315/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId051&catalogId053 .

Yep. My recommendation also. They're cheap and you can buy them everywhere.
nb
--
eschew obfuscation

On Sat, 10 Dec 2011 07:05:28 -0800, Smitty Two

No. But unless you mortar them together you leave a place for an invisible ember to lurk on your deck that will wait until there is no-one around to smoke enough to be found before damage is done.
[not to mention flying embers that close to your house--

If it is 10x10 or so you'd eliminate the burning embers falling our of the pit--- but nothing will help when your drunken brother-in-law decides to toss a giant log on top of that pine that he had going in there. Get your wood fire away from the house.
[just for giggles- see if you can find out what your homeowner's insurance has to say about fire pits in general, and fire pits on a wood deck. Might be a good time to just cancel the policy if they aren't going to cover your most likely source of disaster.]]
Jim
On 12/10/2011 9:05 AM, Smitty Two wrote:

I think they would.

Maybe metal spaced above the deck with fire bricks on it.
Like others, my main recommendation is don't do it.
--
bud--

What the heck kinda fire you gonna build? Texas A&M fire!? We gotta cheapo firebowl thingy I can use on our deck. I don't, but it's small enough that I could.
nb
--
eschew obfuscation

Smitty Two wrote:

Well, let's see now...
Iron melts at 1536 C. Iron can be smelted with wood fires (OK, they add some air; you never have a breeze?). Lava runs 700 C - 1200 C. I've watched many trees burst into flame - damn near explode - when overrun with lava.
Yep, I think pavers could catch your deck on fire.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

In your original post, you stated:
"... and the directions are pretty clear about not using it on a wood deck."
Here's a link to our local fire pit ordinance. Note line item 2. Your town's ordinance may vary.
http://www.cityofevanston.org/assets/Fire%20Pits.pdf
On 12/9/2011 11:11 PM, Smitty Two wrote:

Because of the lack of common sense of most modern humans, a local city has outlawed any kind of grill or open flame on the wooden decks of any of the numerous apartment complexes in that city. "Drunk Grilling" has been responsible for the loss of homes for many apartment dwellers in that municipality. ^_^
TDD
On Sat, 10 Dec 2011 07:32:32 -0600, The Daring Dufas

I have a gas grill on the deck, but I'm not putting any wood burners there. It is not just underneath, but the surrounding area if a coal fall out or sparks fly, etc. I have a small wood burning pit that I use for grilling and it is on the lawn, away from the garage and deck. There should also be a fire extinguisher nearby too.

I guess my styrofoam deck would be ok?
Greg
On 12/11/2011 7:18 PM, gregz wrote:

As long as you only burn up yourself and your apartment. ^_^
TDD