Fire alarm

The heat from my wood stove sets off my smoke(heat) detector is there a detector that's better suited for use with a wood stove?
On 1/19/2013 12:03 AM, don wrote:

Not sure what you mean by heat detector, but if it thinks your house is on fire, your fire is too hot. Or it's mounted too close to the fire.
If it's a smoke detector, I'd suggest that there really is smoke and you should fix the firebox ventilation.
If it's a CO detector, be happy you're not dead...yet...and fix whatever hasn't killed you yet.
A less sensitive detector is NOT the first place I'd look for a solution.

Smoke detectors detect smoke. Wood stoves emit smoke, and far too often that smoke gets into the interior of the house, and off goes the alarm. I've never found a suitable detector that dont go off. I just dont put smoke detectors in the same room as the wood stove. Or, you can keep removing the battery each time you open the wood stove. (and after doing that a few times, you wont reconnect the battery).

It is not he heat, but particles from combustion. You don't have to see them for the smoke detector to catch them.
If the detector is in the same room, I'd move it to the next room or hallway to it. I'd also check the connection of the stove pipe, door gaskets, etc.

One thing I never fully understood about smoke detectors (SD) is that they go off almost instantly from the smallest amount of smoke from a woodstove, or a little bit of burnt food on the kitchen stove. Yet, a cigarette chain smoker or even cigar smoker dont set them off. Why is this? I lived with a chain smoker some years ago, and he often smoked big fat cigars. The SD never went off. Are they programmed to the type of smoke, or what?
On 1/19/2013 3:03 AM, don wrote:

I'd put it in the same room as the stove. These detectors sense temperature rate of rise with a fixed set point of 135 degrees. I typically use them in locations like boiler rooms and garages, where smoke detectors aren't recommended. Here's one from Depot:
http://www.homedepot.com/buy/brk-120-volt-ac-dc-135-fahrenheit-with-rate-of-rise-heat-alarm-hd6135fb.html#.UPqaovLGDSM

*The photoelectric type of smoke detector is recommended around kitchen areas as it is less prone to false alarms from cooking. You might try swapping yours out for a photoelectric type.
don wrote:

Since a smoke detector detects smoke, it would seem that eliminating the smoke would eliminate its detection!
Give some attention to repairing/removing the leaks from your wood stove: Close off holes, seal openings, etc.

What you need is a carbon monoxide detector.
On 1/19/2013 3:03 AM, don wrote:

My wife often sets ours off in the hallway with broiler fumes from the kitchen.
If your smoke detector is a ways away from the wood stove, as I tell my wife and I will tell you, you're breathing fumes that you shouldn't.
says...

For a garage, those are usually just heat detectors or rate of rise detectors and are part of a home security system.