FIOS Telephone connection

Page 1 of 2
I am in the process of having my mother's house repaired (to put it mildly) for sale.
My DIL had Verizon FIOS put in for TV and Internet and has had the phone service activated. How does the telephone line get connected to the FIOS device in the house?
The jobsite is 300 miles away and I won't be there for another three weeks. The alarm company needs a working phone line to test the system.
Add pictures here
✖
Bill Waller wrote:

You need to go to dslreports.com, to the verizon telco forum and post your question there.
There are several verizon sub-forums. This one is probably on-topic for you:
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/vzfiber
There is also a direct support forum:
https://secure.dslreports.com/forum/vzdirect
You need to sign up to dslreports to post to either forum. To use the direct support forum, you have to give the name, address, phone number of the location you have an issue with, and a verizon tech will deal with the issue (you and the tech will be the only ones able to read your support thread).
Add pictures here
✖
On 9/24/2011 10:07 AM, Bill Waller wrote:

Verizon will install an Optical Network Terminal (ONT) on the premises which terminates the optical fiber coming from the pole. The ONT has standard RJ-11 jacks, the type used for all normal analog phones, answering machines, etc. The Verizon folks will connect the RJ-11 to the existing copper wiring on the premises, most likely using the same grounding and terminal block which was there originally.
Google "FIOS ONT" to get some better understanding of how it is installed and connected.
Add pictures here
✖
On 9/24/2011 10:07 AM, Bill Waller wrote:

Some photos:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=FIOS+ONT+RJ-11&rlz 3GGLL_enUS412US400&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&biw€0&bih17
Add pictures here
✖
On 9/24/2011 10:07 AM, Bill Waller wrote:

They terminate the fiber in a box that has the 3 connectors (phone, CATV, Ethernet) necessary for the services they provide. They plug a cable into the phone jack and connect it to the existing phone wiring.
Add pictures here
✖
On 9/24/2011 10:47 AM, George wrote:

Note well- you want to DISCONNECT the old copper drop at the old demarc, assuming Verizon didn't rip it out already. The FIOS box (around here, at least) is usually inside the house, and they back-feed the wiring in basement, or in the phone socket closest to the computer. No biggy, just unplug it, and tape a note to the rj11 jumper, so somebody doesn't plug it back in.
Some areas, telco outright removes the copper service drop, to keep people from changing their mind when the bills start rolling in.
I assume alarm company's line-seizure block would need to be next to the FIOS box, with the house on the downstream side.
--
aem sends...

Add pictures here
✖

I believe they do that, but didn't I read here that was a violation of a federal reg?
Add pictures here
✖

When we got FiOS, switching from DSL, I made a halfhearted attempt to have them leave the copper, but no luck. The tech installed and connected the ONT to the fiber, took the phone line from the ONT and connected it to my existing distribution block (whatever the thingy is called). That has worked fine ever since, through a 3-4 extended power outages over the years (6-8) where cell phone service remained. The TV and internet portions were connected to existing coax and cat5, respectively. Then the "TV guide" portion of the TV info was split off the modem via extra coax.
--
Best regards
Han

There are alarm companies that use cell service, either primary or back up.
if you dont need internet or tv skip the phone service completely
Add pictures here
✖

Didn't they have to come to the house to do the first two things? Do they want to charge more to connect the phone!!??
If they didn't do it while they were there, they should come back for free.

Add pictures here
✖

They might want more if they have to run interior station wire from the FIOS box to the existing phone line. Telcos used to do all this for free but these days they are like the airlines. Everything is extra.
Add pictures here
✖
On Sat, 24 Sep 2011 13:40:17 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Sure.
OTOH doesn't FIOS turn into a normal modular phone jack (RJ-11?), by the time itgets inside the house? It's got to do that eventually or every phone would need a special connector.
I"m looking at the pictures Smarty pointed to http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=FIOS+ONT+RJ-11&rlz 3GGLL_enUS412US400&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&biw€0&bih17 and it seems like there's a box outside the house with an RJ-11 jack.
Maybe the OP doesn't realize he is supposed to open the door to the box and plug his house in?
Shouldn't Verizon have done that for him. When for the sake of testing my house wring, they put in an exterior box for me 10 years ago, with my regular copper wire, they put a modular plug on the wire from my house, and plugged my house into their jack.
If I had FIOS, it would come to the same corner of the house where the copper comes now.
Add pictures here
✖
The FIOS Tech should have connected the existing phone line from the pole going into the house to the ONT.
Like others have posted if they didn't they have to come back and connect it. The tech that did mine tested the phones to make sure they were connected.

Add pictures here
✖
I am sorry that I did not make myself clear. The TV and Internet portion of the FIOS service has been in place for well over a year. The phone service is new.
There are no Verizon installers/techs available. They want more money, and the project does not have time to wait for them to settle their dispute with the company.
The phone line has been activated. That is a software switch from the service center. The new phone number IS active.
I was only asking where the RJ was sot that the alarm company can plug in and test the rebuild of the security system.
I would like to thank any and all who responded. I did a little research, which I should have done earlier, and think I have found the elusive RJ-11.

Add pictures here
✖
Bill Waller, 9/24/2011,8:31:45 PM, wrote:

I was a network technician for Verizon FiOS a few years ago. We would get many trouble reports regarding some alarm systems not working with the FiOS phone service for some reason. It had something to do with internal wiring from the alarm box to the house copper wiring. Hopefully you won't have that problem.
Add pictures here
✖
On Sat, 24 Sep 2011 20:57:29 -0400, "badgolferman"

Thanks for the input. At this time, there is no internal communication wiring in the house, with the exception of whatever Verizon installed when they put in the TV and Internet. All of the old telco cable (25pr) has been torn out, or so badly mangled that it has been rendered totally useless. Part of the contract it to replace the old cabling.
__________________ Bill Waller New Eagle, PA
snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net
Add pictures here
✖
On 9/25/2011 8:57 AM, Bill Waller wrote: (snip)

Wow- you had 25pr inside wiring at a residence? Was it used as a home office or something?
If all the wiring is gone, and the walls and/or basement ceiling are open, have the GC or alarm company's wiring sub home-run cat 6 from every plausible room back to a punch-down block at a convenient location, ideally near where the alarm system box is. Unless house is huge, a single 110 block should suffice. Then have an additional dedicated run to wherever the FIOS box is, for the incoming feed. Tell them you want a pre-wire so whoever buys house has options open- don't have to install the outlets or punch down the drops (other than the line-seize box for the alarm), just have them in wall boxes in the rooms. If you want to make the place tempting to computer geeks, put double runs to locations where computers may be desired, in case they want a hard-wired home network. All cables should be labeled, of course, referring back to a diagram nailed to wall near punch-down block.
(No, I'm not a big fan of cordless phones or wi-fi. Sometimes stone-age is best.)
--
aem sends....

Add pictures here
✖

my experience with FIOS SUCKED, the internet part worked fine, at the time tv wasnt available yet..
the phone part was a nightmare........
echos, noise every 12th call or so, backup battery failure in less than 4 months they wanted to charge me for that, my box beeped alarm for over a week, drove us nuts, verizon reps didnt know there was a silence alarm button.......
the the service was basically unusable, verizon held me to the contract, refused to fix the problems, the worst the unusable noisey call every 12th call finally traced to a bad router in the CO. to get this fixed i had to call for 3 months, finally calling every business day for 3 weeks only to be told every time it as my interior wiring, even though tech number 1 noted problem reproduced with home completely disconnected....
one road tech told his supervisor the problem was a bad router at the central office, 3 months later a network tech finally called and fixed it within 15 minutes.
moved the number over to copper, ordered verizon to STOP SOLICITING ME.....
good luck with that repeated reps at door, got mad they woudnt leave me alone, so i cancelled my outgoing call plan on my business line......
idiots cancelled my entire outgoing line completely twice.
i changed phone companies over that and hate verizon.......
this is just a overview of the troubles i had, and misses a lot.
geez all i wanted was a working phone line
Add pictures here
✖

Geez!! That would put me off too! My experiences were the opposite. Note that we were mong the first FiOS customers here. Everything worked out fine in the end. These were my problems:
Phone: Indicator light for voicemail on my Panasonic phone didn't work. Couple of phone calls and the culprit in the CO was fixed (I don't remember whether it was board or switch setting). Noise on the line: An old unused pair of phone wires in the basement was shortcircuiting. Easy fix, bend them so they didn't contact.
Internet: The FiOS router Actiontec 1424W lost its radio after 6 days. Took the incompetent techs (2!!) a long time to fix, because they didn't know how to reset whatever in the office to let a replacement router connect.
TV: Noisy signals intermittently on some channels, not others. Problem with coax connectors not seating correctly. Why this re-occurs every once in a while is a puzzle I haven't solved yet - probably furniture moving.
Movies via internet: We had problems with the first BluRay DVD player. Our Vizio VBR231 apparently was defective, and Vizio replaced it without charge, including shipping both ways. Vizio customer service was absolutely EXCELLENT!! Our TV doesn't have internet, but the Vizio works fine.
--
Best regards
Han
bob haller, 9/25/2011,9:03:54 AM, wrote:

Your experience is not atypical. As an insider I got to see how the buck gets passed continuously. The problem is with how management places restrictions upon the customer reps and technicians. They must meet certain metrics or get fired.
I was eligible for 20% discount on FiOS services and refused to get it. I knew what would happen if something went wrong, especially if something went wrong with the order which is the hardest thing to fix.
Having said all that, I will tell you the horror stories I heard from former Comcast customers were worse.....
Add pictures here
✖