FIOS doesn t work without AC?

Page 1 of 5
Someone told me that FIOS doesn t work without AC.
Is that so? For intenet, phone, *and* TV? (I guess the TV and intenet don't matter, since they won't work either without AC, but the phone would..)
I know most people use a cell phone when their home phone doesn't work, but I like having the home phone too.

You need a receiver, don't you ! Is light going to power something ?
My comcast cable box modem, phone, runs on ac and battery backup for some length of time.
Greg

I don't understand either half of this.

Looks like Verizon does too. I will have to tell my friend.

On 11/02/2012 09:58 PM, gregz wrote:
[snip]

My cable phone box has a battery too. It'll work as long as the cable system does. During a recent storm, that was 4 hours after power failure. It was another 24 hours before they put in a generator to make it work.
--
52 days until the winter celebration (Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:00:00 AM).

Mark Lloyd
On 11/2/12 10:33 PM, micky wrote:

Info be FIOS battery here
http://www22.verizon.com/support/residential/phone/homephone/general+support/fios+phone/troubleshooting+fios+phone+service/95363.htm
or
http://tinyurl.com/bqlpjta

Wow. Thanks a lot, Retired. I don't think she knows about this, and I don't think Verizon put a good battery in the thing when they installed it, only a short while ago. She says during the power failure, calls went straight to voicemail without ringing the phone even when she was home, and I noticed that myself when I called her once. Of course it doesn't say that the phone will ring, only that one will have power for voice service. When she called me back, I don't know if it was on the house FIOS phone or her cell phone. Since she knew I had called, her caller-ID on the FIOS phone must have worked, but if that works shouldn't the bell which uses so little current on a phone these days work too?
Maybe they just didn't connect the battery. "The Verizon supplied battery is designed specifically for use with the Verizon FiOS Network. Use of a battery other than a 12-Volt 7.2 Ah SLA Sealed Lead Acid battery is not recommended"
Isn't a 12-volt 7.2Ah SLA battery a standard battery, not one designed specifically for use with the Fios network?

On 11-03-2012 00:41, micky wrote:

They said mine would last 24 hours. It didn't last a few minutes. I replaced the battery. It still didn't.
--
Wes Groleau

“If it wasn't for that blasted back-hoe,
I spoke to someone from Verizon this morning who said that their plan is to start removing copper and transition everyone over to fiber. Thus ensuring that in the event of a disaster nobody has phone service after a few hours. I asked about a bigger battery and was told that the charger they use isn't powerful enough for it.
They call this progress.
By the way, when they install fios they take away the copper wire so you can never go back to it.
On Fri, 2 Nov 2012 21:14:33 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@brainchampagne.com wrote:

start removing copper and transition everyone over to fiber. Thus ensuring that in the event of a disaster nobody has phone service after a few hours. I asked about a [bigger backup battery for the FIOS phone] and was told that the charger they use isn't powerful enough for it.
How can the charger not be powerful enough. It has weeks or months to charge the battery, however long it is between power failures.
I had a 2nd-hand UPS and the battery wore out, and I replaced it with a bigger one and it worked fine. I just broke out the plastic ribs that held the smaller one in place. Of course they didnt' specifically say a bigger battery wouldn't work, but how would the guy you talked to know? He only "knows" what they told him.

I called about something and she started pushing me, over and over, to get FIOS. I said I couldn't afford it but she said it was cheaper. I'm still on an introductory rate for DSL and FIOS would be more, not less.
On 11/3/2012 1:03 AM, micky wrote:

start removing copper and transition everyone over to fiber. Thus ensuring that in the event of a disaster nobody has phone service after a few hours. I asked about a [bigger backup battery for the FIOS phone] and was told that the charger they use isn't powerful enough for it.

Well,
    A FIOS backup battery, at least the one in my panel, is a 12 volt gel cell rated at 7.2 amp hours, which provides 'UP TO' 8 hours of backup. Remember, 2 hours is a subset of UP TO 8 hours. During this event, I got about 9 hours out of the battery.
    Anyway, I'm sure the charge could handle a bit bigger battery, say 10 AH, but to hook up a car battery to it would be asking a bit much of the charger. On the other hand, when power is out those with some knowledge can add in more battery to run the panel while power is out. I do this, and I disconnect my external battery when I'm not at home, since there is no reason to run the panel when it will go to the answering system anyway.
    Lastly, keep in mind that the backup is ONLY for phone, Video and internet goes away when the AC power is lost, at least on my panel.
Regards, Tim Bristol Electronics

What about the rest of their network? Will it hold up for more than 8 hours?

Wouldn't that depend on where all the power outages are? Are there amplifers or whatever between the central station and one's home, that require power, and might not have any?
Are there back-up generators at Bell and Verizon telephone exchanges?
Wired phones run on batteries at the central station with generators to keep the batteries charged, but what about FIOS phone and Fios Internet?
On 11/6/2012 12:01 PM, micky wrote:

You are talking about days of old. Less than 40% of the population has wired phones and phone companies see the handwriting on the wall. Many such as Verizon sold off a bunch of those systems (Verizon sold off 13 states) to companies that will run what remains on a shoestring budget. Stuff that they do retain will never again see the TLC of old.
DSL requires power to the modem.
And yes, if I were the phone company and saw that some customers wanted copper and some houses had copper and others had fiber, is it that much more complicated to service one OR the other?
Especially given what we've just seen, how communications falls apart in less than a day in an emergency situation.
And when they sold my elderly parents on fios they told my mother her computer would be faster- she thought that meant it would boot faster, not that her email would be 0.000001 second quicker. They never mentioned that if her power goes out her phone service is gone in less than half a day. They don't even give the option to have a huge battery and bigger charger, not even at an extra upfront fee (what'd that be, a hundred bucks?)
On Tue, 6 Nov 2012 09:56:48 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@brainchampagne.com wrote:

Oh, yeah. I forgot. Senior moment. I doubt I'll ever buy a generator but that still leaves the telephone.

and some houses had copper and others had fiber, is it that much more complicated to service one OR the other?
I wouldnt' think so.

would be faster- she thought that meant it would boot faster, not that her email would be 0.000001 second quicker.
Exactly. For email and newsgroups, and mostly-text webpages it makes no difference. I have a problem with my in-house phone wiring that comes and goes, and for the last 3 years or so, I have a wire from my upstairs bedroom/office down the front of the house to the NID.
I was getting DSL so slow I coudln't watch even Youtube in real time, but I found out the (posssibly cheaper than average) indoor round white 4-conductor phone line I was using was too thin, so I switched to thicker than average round white 4-conductor (R,G,B,Y) wire and I tripled my download speed. Now even for the web it's fast enough and I don't need no stinkin' fios.

less than half a day. They don't even give the option to have a huge battery and bigger charger, not even at an extra upfront fee (what'd that be, a hundred bucks?)
Sort of like digital tv they said would work better, even with an antenna, but it works worse for me.
On 11/6/2012 1:22 PM, micky wrote:

copper and some houses had copper and others had fiber, is it that much more complicated to service one OR the other?

computer would be faster- she thought that meant it would boot faster, not that her email would be 0.000001 second quicker.

You must have been in heybubs garage to get that. That cable was commonly called "quad station wire" and hasn't been commonly used for some time. The much preferred version is twisted pair especially when DSL is involved.

less than half a day. They don't even give the option to have a huge battery and bigger charger, not even at an extra upfront fee (what'd that be, a hundred bucks?)

I wouldn't go back to analog low def TV if they paid me.
On 11-06-2012 16:07, George wrote:

I would. I can see the local stations' antennas from my living room, so I figured I didn't need a fancy antenna. I didn't--until digital.
Before, in severe whether, we got just a trace of fuzz. After, fog or drizzle kills it completely.
--
Wes Groleau

“Would the prodigal have gone home if

But what about FIOS. If there is a power failure at the exchange, do they all have generators? Are there amps or something on phone poles between the telephone exchange and my house that depend on a source of power that's neither the exchange or my house?

Took a tour of a switching office once. They have power, then backup generators, then big racks of backup batteries.
The old copper system powered the phone from the switching office. Your lights could be out but you could still use the phone.
With FIOS you have a few hours of battery power then you're dead. In this last storm, my battery backup failed and had to be replaced before I could use FIOS at all.
--
Dan Espen

On 11/6/2012 2:09 PM, Dan Espen wrote:

Thats how things used to be when everyone had a wired phone. Something like 60% of the population doesn't anymore. Providers are running away from and spending as little as possible on the sort of infrastructure you described.