Finishing trim work tips?

Any one have any tips for getting good clean "returns" for finishing base board or chair rail moulding? I can never seem to make the right cuts for ending the moulding. I keep ending up with gaps and it makes a rather good job end up sloppy.
gntry wrote:

Start with a good blade designed for finish work. Make your first cut at the appropriate angle (usually 45) Put masking tape on the table of your saw, then draw a line where you place your trim for the second cut. Now you have a reference point to adjust the cut if it doesn't fit. Better to cut the piece a little bit small then to force it in.
Try posting to rec.woodworking, someone there may have a few tricks.

"Trim Tricks for Fussy Carpenters"
http://www.rd.com/familyhandyman/article.do?siteId 11&categoryId`02& contentId7
gntry wrote:

I like to cut a slightly too long return piece with a power miter saw and then glue it to the molding before attaching the molding to the wall.
Next, take a belt sander and slowly nibble away the excess return length until it is perfectly flush to the back of the main molding piece. It makes for a flawless return.