Finishing garage pegboard question?

Unfinished garage. I just stapled insulation and added electrical.
Can pegboard be attached w/o drywall been behind it? I have about 30' wall I would like to have 24' of pegboard.
Thanks M
I've done it. Worked fine. I finished it with a good grade of paint. I used white to brighten the garage.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
Yes. I built a wookroom inside a metal building and put 2 foot high pegboard above all the workbenches, drywall everywhere else. Set the top of the pegboard as high as I could reach comfortably. In this case, I had to put shims between the 1/4" thick pegboard and the studs so it would come out flush to the 1/2 inch thick drywall. The only thing I wish I had done is fasten the pegboard to the studs with screws so I could easly replace a damaged section, and, the pegboard flexes in and out between the studs, so the joint at top and bottom between the drywall and the edge of the pegboard rubs and flakes off the drywall. I should have put blocking horizontally between the studs at that joint. If you are not going to put wallboard next to the pegboard, then you would not have this problem.

Would kraft faced insulation be ok?

That is what I used. My concern yet is -- in the process of installing hooks through the holes in the pegbard do I poke holes in the kraft paper? Since I nailed the pegboard on, it is difficult to pull out a section and see.

yes. my preference is to use 1/4" pegboard not the 1/8" pegboard. much sturdier and less flex between studs.

You aren't going to hang tools on your pegboard, then draw outlines of them so you'll know where they go,....are you?

I had the same situation, first in a metal building then in an unfinished garage.
I used 1/4" TEMPERED 4'x8' pegboard and it was stiff enough that there was no flexing - the spacing in the metal building was the full width (8') but I mounted the pegboard on 2"x2" frame with a couple of 2"x2" vertical pieces. In addition to spacing the pegboard away from the wall, it stiffened it as well.
I just moved the whole unit from the metal building to the unfinished garage - still works fine.

I did the same thing with the thick board that is white in color. Really made it brighter in the garage.