Finishing drywall

Page 1 of 2
OK, generally speaking, should I sand with or across the joints?
I'm using a 100 watt flood light with all other lights turned off and holding it up against the ceiling so it shines across the ceiling. That makes the imperfections stand out!

There is no grain direction to joint compound so it doesn't matter. As you taping skills improve you'll find you'll end up sanding less and less. I've basically given up sanding - too messy and generally too annoying. I prefer to follow up with another pass with a wet sponge.

Sure does.

Me: Hey Doc! It hurts when I do this.
Doc: Stop doing that.
Tony Miklos wrote:

100 Watt?
Piddle.
I use a dual 150-watt halogen work light. It REALLY makes the imperfections stand out.
If you move the light close enough to the "imperfections," it cauterizes them.

I always use a circular motion when sanding to avoid building up any ridge lines.
On 1/5/2011 3:19 PM, HeyBub wrote:

But it has to be at ceiling height to work as it does for me.

Hmm..

That's ridiculous at $398

Yep. I bought the Harbor Freight model for less than twenty dollars. Had to use the shop vac's hose though.

It might seem a bit spendy at $400 but .......
My buddy has one and I can assure you that 5 minutes of hand sanding will generate more dust than the PC sander misses in HOURS of sanding.
Or course if your mudding decent you won't be sanding much. My mudding isn't so good but with the PC sander I don't have to worry. I doubt "pros" use them much, they are much better at mudding.
The unit is well balanced and using it is way less effort than pole sanding.
For someone with poor mudding skills
OP-
Don't over do the "search for imperfections"....get someone to spray on some texture.
cheers Bob

Ack! Bob, you old reprobate, what are you advising?! Don't search for imperfections, just spray them on...? ;)
On 01/05/2011 10:16 PM, RicodJour wrote:

I freakin' hate any kind of texture, but most especially spray on "popcorn." what happens when you have to patch something?
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

I agree Texture sucks down the road...

Yes.... suburban camo!
It's just drywall........
btw, I don't do finish work.
cheers
On 1/5/2011 9:11 PM, DD_BobK wrote:

I agree. I nice knockdown ceiling looks better than any smooth one.
--
Steve Barker

Oren, what I think he's saying is that he doesn't have one, so they are no good.
Steve

I've used one, and if you have a stairwell to do, or a cathedral ceiling, they are the nuts. But for a standard 8' ceiling you can save $375 with one of these- (Amazon.com product link shortened)94267350&sr=1-2
Still no dust-- and not that much effort.

2-300 watts won't hurt-- But the main thing is, be sure it is your only source of light. cover the windows if you're working in the daytime.
Jim

I've got one something like that. Works great with sanding screens.

Even better for the DIY crowd is this Magna Sand $28 outfit fro Amazon:
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
Used one for many projects, works like a charm. Needs a decent shop vacuum and a shot of Pam cooking spray in the bucket to keep down the foam that some drywall compounds produce. The dust reduction is dramatic if you've never used one before. Might even be possible to do away with dust mask and plastic curtains in some cases. Magna Sand even has pole sanders.
Joe

The group has certainly given the standard range of answers. Some of them are off their meds for the Holidays.
With the joint in most cases. You do not want to tear the wallboard paper which you risk doing if you sand across the joint.
Natural light is best. A bright light on the floor or up at an oblique angle is second best. The way you are doing it by holding it close you will still be there at the end of the world.
Keep in mind that almost no drywall job is perfect. Once you think you are done or tired. Run a damp sponge mop over the area. The wet will show you what you missed. Mark those with a pencil and sand some more when it dries. Much easier than sanding the primer coat. :)
--
Colbyt
On 1/5/2011 6:10 PM, Colbyt wrote:

Yes, I got lot's of answers, but only a few answers to my question. Still, the other advice is appreciated.

LOL! Yes I'm not trying to make it perfect, but the light is the easiest way to see the joints that are really bad. I just don't want it to look as bad as the last mud job I did!
Also the 12, four foot double florescent lamp fixtures will be hanging about 1 foot from the ceiling, so those lights aren't going to show many mistakes above them. I'm actually really curious how much better this will look than the last job I did in my old house, and damn it, it better look better!