Finishing bonus room above garage - hvac

I have a "bonus" room above the garage in my house, or, atleast the space to put a room the only thing there is the subfloor. The stairs to the room are inside the garage. at the bottom of the stairs it is open to the garage(uninsulated) the door into the house is also at the bottom of the stairs. so, there is no heating or cooling in the room I am contemplating finishing the room, I am not sure what to do about hvac though tapping into the existing heat pump would be next to impossible, and I'm not sure if it would have enough capacity anyway so I would have to get a seperate unit, I was thinking about one of those units like they have in hotel rooms. anyone ever used one of these? any better ideas? I definitly need both heating and cooling.

thanks

Dave

Reply to
JimmySchmittsLovesChocolateMil

Each situation is different, but your idea may work well. Have someone come out and determine how much of a unit you will need. Guessing often results in a bad match and an inefficient uncomfortable system. Too big is as bad or worse that to small.

I suggest that you check your local building authority before you get too far into this. Local codes vary and you may not be allowed to do what you are thinking about, or you may need to make some sort of accommodation that would be easy now, and very difficult later.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Friedrich makes some nice self contained package units that can be installed in a closet with outside venting. Click to see:

John Grabowski

John Grabowski

Hi Dave, Ductless split system is a possible answer. There are heat pump versions.

The other issue with your project is fire. Any partition (including ceilings) between a garage and a "habitable" space is generally required to be a "firewall" with a 20 min. fire rating. This includes the door as well. The door should be self-closing and latching.

The firewall can be satisfied with 5/8 type X drywall that has been fire taped. (joints sealed) The door needs to be solid core, 1-3/4" thick.

Dana

Reply to
Inspector D