Finishing Basement: Fastening Exterior Walls to Floor

I'm not criticizing the suggestions but just thinking that I would have had some fun if those nailing guns were available at the time, but when I finished our basement 40 years ago I just used 2x4 sole plates fastened to the concrete with cut nails banged in with a old fashioned hammer and elbow grease. Painted the plates with copper chromate and toe-nailed the studs to it and to the joists above. Kept the studs about 1/4" from the foundation wall and covered the framing with prefinished paneling using a liquid nails type glue. Put in a dropped ceiling with flush lighting. Still in great shape despite many periods of high moisture.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Tapcon fasteners and a hammer drill.
--
Regards,
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote on 31 Mar 2006:

Let me add some perspective here. It will make a BIG difference how long the concrete floor has been in place. If it's been curing for 40 years, it will be a bear to shoot the nails into or to drill for tapcons.
My floor was so hard that I used the highest load, shot a nail into it, pulled the nail with a crowbar, and then shot a second nail in the same spot. And that's AFTER drilling the PT plate.
For all your walls, I'd use a combination of adhesive (there are better alternatives to Liquid Nails) and shot nails. If the concrete is relatively new, I'd use tapcons and adhesive.
--
Doug Boulter

To reply by e-mail, remove the obvious word from the e-mail address