Finishing a cinder block wall...

I live in Arizona just outside Phoenix, the backyard almost every home here is surrounded by a cinderblock wall, I have seen very few of these wall finished on the inside perimeter. It is ugly, my back yard is landscaped quite nicely , but the wall is unsightly. I have decided to finish out the wall in some manner. My first thought was just to paint it with a flat latex house paint in an earth tone of some sort. But that would still leave the texture of the blocks and seams. What I would really like to do is run a thin layer of stucco or mortar over the wall sections to get a "smooth" finish THEN paint it. I know these walls can move so I am concerned with cracking of the finish coat. Any suggestions? Thanks Brandon

Why not 'hide' it? Trellis with climbing plants, Plants on top that would drape down over the wall, fencing, shrubs etc... Paint nature scenes (sky, trees etc...) and people will see the picture and not the wall.
Chris

Hiding this would be a tremendous task, just a rough measurement... 450 feet of length x 6 -7 feet in height, about 2700 square feet.

We had a similar span of wall at the home we owned in Queen Creek. We painted the entire wall with a flat concrete paint in a medium brown color, then planted bouganvilla at 3 foot intervals. After 3 years the entire wall was covered. A lot less money then stucco and very colorful.
Wayne

here
over
walls
I have heard it called mortar wash. I had it done to one of my homes in Phoenix when I did the house. Once painted it looked great. Hire some one that has done it before. They will know what to do and how to do it.
I just bought an newer home and plan on doing the same thing to this home. I have beautiful views of the mountains. The lines just are the pits.
My last home had over 1500 feet of fence. I painted it, took 3 coats to get it looking right.
I would like to try some faux painting once I get the walls smoother.. Maybe some clouds at the top with earth tones toward the bottom... Still living in boxes so it just a dream at this point.

landscaped
the
an
Interesting, i would like to learn more about this process, any links to information?
Thanks Brandon

get
Maybe
in
Thoroseal http://www.chargar.com/ma.htm EIFS (Sto, Dryvit, Parex) Bonsal http://www.bonsal.com/concrete.html?sid 93 Quickwall http://www.quikrete.com/diy/QUIKWALLSurface-BondingCement.html

every home here

these wall

landscaped
finish out the

paint in an

of the

mortar over

these walls

Stand on top of your wall and look down the street to see who has a nice finish, then knock on their front door to ask.

here
over
walls

landscaped