Finishing a basement ceiling

Looking for ideas for a low-cost and easily removable ceiling treatment for a cabin basement. It is (and has been for years) bare joists with insulation and visible wiring, so just about any treatment will be an aesthetic improvement.

The ceiling is about 9' high, and I am just finishing getting insulation up between the joists. Wanted to put up something that I could take down easily to run additional wiring, etc if required. So drywall is out, as is most panelling and drop celing styles.

Is there a fairly durable (and maybe flame retardent) fabric that I could simply staple in place? I may want it to come down the walls about a foot as well, as I have panelled/sheetrocked about 8 feet up from the floor and have exposed wall above that level that would be well suited to sharing the same covering as the ceiling.

Ideas or links appreciated.

Reply to
Mamba

Think about this for a moment: If dropped ceiling panels were hard to take down easily for wiring or other modifications, why are dropped ceilings used in thousands of commercial buildings??? Lift the ceiling panels, move them aside, and there's your wiring. Much easier than pulling down stapled fabric.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

My sediments also. I was wondering the same as to why he would want to deal with staples and ripping fabric compared to sliding a tile over to one side.

Don't rule out drop ceiling. I would consider this your best option.

Reply to
SBH

try an asbestos curtain. It's flame retardent.

Reply to
Lou

As others have suggested a dropped ceiling is your best choice. Metal "T" bar is cheap and east to install. If the cost of tile is prohibitive think of cutting your own tiles out of 1/2 or 3/8 drywall. May not be too pretty but would be a lot more flame retardant than fabric.

LdB

Reply to
L D'Bonnie

Like that flimsy T-bar setup would hold the weight of wall-to-wall drywall? That stuff is HEAVY.

OP has the right idea- get a roll of flame-retardant fabric (like from a place that does commercial interiors and curtains), and staple it up. Or go for the loft look, and just spray the upper 18 inches of the room matte black. Or maybe check out the nearest industrial surplus, and get a dozen sheets of that stuff they skin trailers with, and screw it up.

Personally, I seeing the bones and nervous system and veins of a house, when I am below grade.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

My own internal shorthand caused that description to come out wrong. I was more concerned about the cost and work involved to put in the dropped ceiling than any issues with removing it for future tasks. In my brain I was thinking "cheap, fast and easy", while my hands typed "easy".

Reply to
Mamba