Finding underground plastic lawn sprinkler lines

Other than trial-and-error digging, are there other tricks or special equipment for finding them? Perhaps there is something like a stethoscope attached to a pointed metal rod that I could use to probe the ground while water is running.

They are only about eight inches deep.

TIA,

Ray

Reply to
Ray K

1_Patriotic_Guy

pieces of 12 bare copper or coat hangers around 24inch OA has worked well for me any easy to bend/cut somewhat stiff and light wire handy it'll find mineral deposits or elect pipes too. Older trick than the electrical contractor that instantly made me a dowser. gotta hold em light, teeter the balance sort of.

Reply to
bumtracks

In my situation, control valve wires wouldn't parallel any of the lines for any appreciable distance. And as you will see below, I'm only concerned about the line from the valve to the first head. (As an aside, two of the four heads are fed from elbows, not tees. So there must be a Y someplace.)

-- Why are you trying to locate the lines?

I have one zone out of five that none of the four heads pop up. When I turn on that zone, I hear a rush of water for 5-10 seconds, then the water flow stops 100 percent (the very sensitive flag on the water meter stops spinning).

The direct route from this zone's control valve to these four heads would require passing under the driveway. (The original builder did not install sprinklers.) One of the local pros said they would never do that. (Risk of breaking the line.) They would take the much longer route around the back, side and front of the house. That route passes right by a large maple tree, which has surface roots, and a gum tree. So I suspecting that a root is pinching the line.

Ray

Reply to
Ray K

Reply to
1_Patriotic_Guy

I have clock operated electric valves on my system. I have had that symptom and the cure was to adjust the valve or replace it.

Around here, Las Vegas area, it's normal practice to jet under existing driveways and that's what sprinkler equipment manufacturers recommend -- look at one of their instruction sheets. Problem with long distribution lines is the pressure loss which limits the number of heads you can put on one branch.

Reply to
SJF

The local irrigation shop showed me a section of line that a root had wrapped around, reducing its cross-sectional area in half. Maybe I'll go over there and photograph it.

Otherwise I would expect the root to move over or under the line.

Even though the soil is heavy, it's rather easy to dig, especially since the lines are only about 8 inches deep. I've owned the home for four years. The house was built in 1968, without sprinklers. The best clue would be the model of the Richdel controller (446PRi) and when it was discontinued. I know that the models of the Hardie valves and the Hunter heads are discontinued. My guess is 15 years ago.

Reply to
Ray K

I've already replaced the diaphram in the valve. Didn't solve the problem. There's not much that can go wrong with the solenoid or its plunger, but I still suspect it.

Reply to
Ray K

We tried pipe held to the ground, stethoscope, metal detector, when we tried to locate a long-buried controller in our condo property. Finally took to taking a line-of-sight on the cable leading from one controller to the next, went about 8', dug a hole, etc, etc. Worked. Irrig. people have an instrument for following water lines - perhaps there is one you can rent.

Reply to
Norminn

This sounds like a wonderful excuse to purchase/ borrow an infrared digital thermometer like the Fluke 51?

'd turn on the water to that branch and put a bucket over the sprinkler head. I would expect the cool water flowing in the pipe below the surface would create a temperature differential.

A bit of a long shot.....

Mr Fixit eh

Reply to
Steve Nekias

Ray K in news:wDf6d.327$kq6.320973 @news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net:

the manual bleed would bypass solenoid opeation

Reply to
Choise76Smu

Have you tested the valve and is it easily accessible? Symptoms indicate to me is that it is not working or not getting power.

Reply to
HRL

Ray K in news: snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net:

there's a pipe trace eelctronic tool, you might find at equipemtn rentals .. maybe irrig suply would rent one, but i doubt they rent.

" Had to trace all the black PVC piping when I moved into my old house. It ran from the pump house in several directions, 300' S, 150' W, 180' NE, and 125' NE, to accomodate the guest house, orchard, pool/sauna, and the house proper.

Talked to a local plumber and he said he would use a sound amplifier and trace the sound of the running water, if I wanted.

Took my mechanics stethscope and stuck the probe in the ground, could hear the water running just fine. So I ran one faucet in each line while I traced the sound and flagged the course (found two water leaks in the process, they're real loud)."

10 seconds is a long long time.

if they're digging the whole yard to irirgate all areas, htis is likely.

otherwise they migth search for a sleeve, probably about 2 ft out from the garage entry, crossing under the driveway at 1 ft or more deep.

dumb to run lines where huge trees were to be planted.

large roots close to teh base of the tree will bow out pipe unitl it cracks open.

they shold be laid on a perpendicular grid, unless the ditches had to dogde large obstalces a time of installtion. also a long uninterrupted line, or a grid alignment change might send a pipe off at a weird angle.

you could jam a hose down one of the heads (the nearest to valve) and see whre water comes out. at disassembled valve or the other heads.

Reply to
Choise76Smu

I get two pieces of straight bailing wire about 15" long. Bend a 3" leg on both of them. Hold them loosely by the three inch leg in a fist so they can sway and turn. Get them pointed straight out in front of you. When you walk over the line, the two will swing in, and parallel each other. Done it many a time to find sprinklers, water pipes, sewer pipes, electrical lines, etc.

Had many a person argue it is witching, and won't work, but no one who has seen me do it has said such a thing. I have seen people who can't get the fist right put them in two empty Tabasco bottles. They make some high dollar ones that have swinging arms inside a hollow tube that ride on a small ball bearing in the bottom.

But bailing wire works for me. Amazed many an old timer and made a believer out of them. Once almost had to walk back from a quail hunting trip because the driver was a religious nut and he thought I was posessed with the devil and practicing black magic. True story.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Someone named "SteveB" Proclaimed on Tue, 28 Sep 2004 22:30:46 -0700,

And what exactly, sir, is the principal behind that? If it isn't WITCHING!!! :-)

Seriously, I've seen that on TV. What is that all about?

Reply to
G. Morgan

Someone named "bumtracks" Proclaimed on Mon, 27 Sep 2004 18:42:34 GMT,

You too huh? I'll believe it when I see it.

Reply to
G. Morgan

I really don't know the explanation. It just works, for me, anyway.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

One of Columbus' sailors said that exact thing regarding America.

I have never seen the Statue of Liberty. I believe it exists, though. I would be locked in a very small world if I only believed in things that were inside my own mind.

Try this. Instead of having to have someone SHOW you, try it yourself. All you have to lose is 15 minutes. Trick is to hold the wires loosely so that they barely teeter forward. Or try the two Tabasco bottles. Work where you KNOW there is a pipe. But then, that wouldn't be as easy as merely blanketly denying that it works and wanting someone to show you, would it?

Try new things. It will expand your life and mind.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

I saw a man do this on my farm in Michigan. I don't believe in such stuff, but it worked for him. I picked up the stick after he left and tried it myself, and it dipped over the underground pipe(!). I'm sure it must be auto-suggestion, or something, but... ;-)

Reply to
Bert Byfield

Dowsing with a divining rod? ..........rain dance....ear candles......

Reply to
tnom