Finding an AC leak - the Stormin Norman Method...

My AC guy was out today to do the one year warranty inspection for my house AC system. He's a real chatty guy and loves to talk AC repairs. I told him the "Stormin Norman" method of determining if slow leaks were in the low side versus the high side. He said the SN theory made no sense to him.
He went on to say that in his experience the vast majority of slow leaks are on the low side so perhaps the reason SN thinks his method works is because he almost always gets a zero reading (cause the freon is all gone) and it's almost always a low side leak. So it seems like SN theory works but its really coincidence that makes it seem to work.
He said the reason for most leaks being on the low side is because it's usually in the inside coil (located on the low side of the system) because that's the coil that gets constantly heat stressed plus it's the coil where the frame rusts away which lets it expand and contract more as it gets old and the frame gets rusty. He said he sees it especially in heat pumps that switch from running the inside coil at 140 degrees while heating and when they go into defrost mode they immediately get flooded with cold freon and go to 24 degrees. So they get a lot of expansion and contracting from large swings in temperature. The outside coil doesn't see nearly as big of temperature swings. He also said he thought that since they are usually wet from condensate and often made of dissimilar metals there may also be some electrolysis going on that generates thin spots and eventual leaks.
On Tuesday, July 1, 2014 7:03:12 PM UTC-4, Ashton Crusher wrote:

You mean the laws of physics haven't been repealed? I'll sleep better tonight knowing that Boyles law and entanglement still work OK.
I assume you mean "Stormin' Moron (I mean) Mormon"?
On 7/1/2014 7:03 PM, Ashton Crusher wrote:

Who is Stormin Norman? Does he (she) post to this list?
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 7/1/2014 8:14 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

He air conditioned Iraq
On Tuesday, July 1, 2014 10:38:18 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

He 'ventilated' Irag.
I did not know he had passed on.
On 07/01/2014 08:14 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Stormin Norman Cash? The baseball player from Detroit?
Stormin Mormon wrote "- show quoted text - Who is Stormin Norman? Does he (she) post to this list?
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Cretin.
On Tue, 01 Jul 2014 20:14:18 -0400, Stormin Mormon

He's a guy who posts on here and who has been excommunicated from the LDS for failure to wear the appropriate underwear while typing.
<snip>

How soon we forget.........
Stormin' NORMAN was the nickname of US Army Gen Norman Schwartzkopf, who was commander during the 1st Bush's war on Iraq after Iraq overran Kuwait. He died in 2012.
See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norman_Schwartzkopf
Stormin' MORMON is the Usenet poster.

who fortunately was given instructions by his commander in chief not to pussyfoot around.
On 7/2/2014 11:09 AM, Pico Rico wrote:

Another real man.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Yeah and when he retired he became a member (briefly) of the cult (the briefs were the wrong underwear) and went to trade school to learn AC. Got his tuition paid on the GI bill.
On 7/2/2014 6:22 PM, Ashton Crusher wrote:

Maybe you can write my biography? You're spot on, so far.
--
.
Christopher A. Young