finding a buried A/C cable

You'll need a good metal detector and an experienced operator. The machine will be in pinpoint or 'all-metal' mode. 1 ft. is pretty deep though. If that doesn't find it, you'll need a 2-box metal detector, again with an experienced operator. I'd suggest contacting the local club...

Reply to
Shanghai McCoy

I'm not sure which source you were being sarcastic about. But the USGS recognizes it as a viable method.

Steve Barker DLT

I'd like to see that reference and the research done to validate the conclusion...

Specifically, I was lambasting the internet in general and google in particular as an infallible scientific resource.

--

Reply to
dpb

SteveB wrote: ...

You do contract service work? I'd pay travel+fee if you can find several lines of various types on the place here just to see it. You bat 100% you win...

--

Reply to
dpb

Amen. I recently participated in the Ph.D. thesis defense of a student at a well regarded technical school located on the Charles River. I declined to sign, and a few other faculty followed my lead. Reason: there were no cited references anywhere in the several hundred page document that predated the internet even though the fundamental work that formed the basis for his research was published well before the internet.

The student will now spend some time in the library and we'll try it again next semester.

Reply to
Boden

That would seem should've never gotten to the point of his defense by being observed by his major professor...

--

Reply to
dpb

Much ado about nothing. If the line is shallow, any metal detector will probably find it depending on the operator. If deep, will be harder. Dowse it, and be done in two minutes.

Steve, who has owned metal detectors since 1980

Reply to
SteveB

Reply to
Steve Barker DLT

Reply to
Boden

Agreed, but things seem a bit looser now than in the "old days."

Reply to
Boden

Boden wrote: ...

Omygosh, yes. "Due quota" now is almost non-existent it seems and the level of minutiae one used to have to follow w/ the mats and all now is automagically taken care of by software templates in the word processor of choice...there's something to be said for that, but there's something missing in not having to go thru the process, too, imo.

UVA doesn't even require the mandatory hours in attendance in the grad student office any longer I hear. What _IS_ this world coming to??? :)

--

Reply to
dpb

What do you think this says?

It certainly doesn't make any claim there's anything to dowsing other than "the natural explanation of "successful" water dowsing is that in many areas water would be hard to miss."

That's damning w/ faint praise in the highest possible favoring light.

The introduction to the full pdf version has the disclaimer "this leaflet was prepared to answer some of the most frequently asked questions about the subject of water dowsing and is not intended to make editorial comment on dowsing."

IOW, it's a politically correct equivalent of a wiki article, not anything at all researched and peer reviewed.

--

Reply to
dpb

Ok,

Steve Barker DLT

Bending the wahr ain't the problem...I've never seen a response to anything from them...

I'd pay to see if a claimant could actually find a non-trivial object.

The challenge is path of gas line from the main pipeline drop across the farm yard.

Path of certain wiring in the feedlots and particularly locating break in at least one.(*)

If those were solved, could come up w/ several others as well...

(*) Did locate initial break to within a foot or so w/ a buddy and his cable locater. Took a couple hours and we weren't that certain even then but got (sorta') lucky that his guess of highest intensity was in about the right location. The sucker is buried nearly waist deep.

It has since that repair failed again and I've borrowed the detector and can't tell a thing--my hearing isn't what it once was.

The couple of folks who claim they can do this your way couldn't even tell where the wire was, what more find the break.

Reply to
dpb

If you can't figure out how to bend two pieces of baling wire and do it yourself, I doubt you could fill out the check.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB