finding a buried A/C cable

Page 2 of 2

dpb wrote:

Boden wrote: ...

Omygosh, yes. "Due quota" now is almost non-existent it seems and the level of minutiae one used to have to follow w/ the mats and all now is automagically taken care of by software templates in the word processor of choice...there's something to be said for that, but there's something missing in not having to go thru the process, too, imo.
UVA doesn't even require the mandatory hours in attendance in the grad student office any longer I hear. What _IS_ this world coming to??? :)
http://ga.water.usgs.gov/edu/dowsing.html

Steve Barker DLT wrote:

What do you think this says?
It certainly doesn't make any claim there's anything to dowsing other than "the natural explanation of "successful" water dowsing is that in many areas water would be hard to miss."
That's damning w/ faint praise in the highest possible favoring light.
The introduction to the full pdf version has the disclaimer "this leaflet was prepared to answer some of the most frequently asked questions about the subject of water dowsing and is not intended to make editorial comment on dowsing."
IOW, it's a politically correct equivalent of a wiki article, not anything at all researched and peer reviewed.
Ok,

Whenever I've had construction work done, there is some service that comes out ahead of time and marks the utility lines. They only mark the public lines and not any private ones, but they certainly have the technology and maybe, for a price, would mark private lines.
On Mon, 15 Sep 2008 08:53:50 -0700 (PDT), Pat

Not true at all, they have a detector they swing across the dirt and it beeps when they go over a wire. What they won't guarantee is the depth. I have had several "locates" in the right of way in front of my house. One for me, a driveway installation and the rest for utility work. I have watched the process a number of times.
On Mon, 15 Sep 2008 07:28:22 -0700 (PDT), Pat

He lives in another state. I know where comes out of the house, but I don't know where the end of it is.
--
Replace you know what by j to email

On Mon, 15 Sep 2008 02:09:50 -0400, Jud McCranie

Metal dectectors work well.
Jud McCranie wrote:

You'll need a good metal detector and an experienced operator. The machine will be in pinpoint or 'all-metal' mode. 1 ft. is pretty deep though. If that doesn't find it, you'll need a 2-box metal detector, again with an experienced operator. I'd suggest contacting the local club...

Much ado about nothing. If the line is shallow, any metal detector will probably find it depending on the operator. If deep, will be harder. Dowse it, and be done in two minutes.
Steve, who has owned metal detectors since 1980
SteveB wrote: ...

You do contract service work? I'd pay travel+fee if you can find several lines of various types on the place here just to see it. You bat 100% you win...

If you can't figure out how to bend two pieces of baling wire and do it yourself, I doubt you could fill out the check.
Steve
SteveB wrote:

Bending the wahr ain't the problem...I've never seen a response to anything from them...
I'd pay to see if a claimant could actually find a non-trivial object.
The challenge is path of gas line from the main pipeline drop across the farm yard.
Path of certain wiring in the feedlots and particularly locating break in at least one.(*)
If those were solved, could come up w/ several others as well...
(*) Did locate initial break to within a foot or so w/ a buddy and his cable locater. Took a couple hours and we weren't that certain even then but got (sorta') lucky that his guess of highest intensity was in about the right location. The sucker is buried nearly waist deep.
It has since that repair failed again and I've borrowed the detector and can't tell a thing--my hearing isn't what it once was.
The couple of folks who claim they can do this your way couldn't even tell where the wire was, what more find the break.