finding a below ground water leak

A good friend has a water leak somewhere between the house and the supply - bout 104' of line - buried anywhere between 30" and 48" deep. He turned the shutoff at the house of and found the meter at the supply side was still going round (hopefully slowly) >how bout some ideas the keep the back from going out chasing the thing down. Money is short for the guy so the sweat equity will probably be high. Thanks Pat

Reply to
patrick mitchel

If you know where the line runs, one could take a pipe probe (or a sharpened metal rod) and begin probing the ground along the line. If it comes up muddy, start digging.

Reply to
Robert Allison

Reply to
Eric Tonks

Stop watering the lawn, see where it stays green...

DJ

Reply to
DJ

My brother just had a water main break on the street in front of his house last week which resulted in the flooding of his front yard. Not knowing at the time that it was a main that was broken, he called the water company and someone came out with a long pole with a listening device attached to it. By sticking the probe into the ground in several areas he was able to pin the leak down to within a three foot area.

Why doesn't your friend call the water company?

Reply to
John Grabowski

Greetings,

a) a water leak can be VERY expensive -- one cost me $800 b) if the line is old and failed due to rusting it should be replaced to avoid such expense c) if the line is not old but has a leak anyway then the listening device is certianly the way to go-- but they are expensive if you have to purchase your own

Hope this helps, William

Reply to
William Deans

Thanks for the ideas. Bit more info. The house and the water line are less then 5 yrs old. Located in central oregon on high (4000') plateau- ain't no grass there this time of year. Closer to a desert climate (9" rain/yr) . The water company has been pulling some shenanigans when it comes to the water bill after losing a court case regarding billing. Something tells me that if he went to them and asked them to borrow a listening device the result would be nill. Was also wondering if the water line when layed , would likely be made in regular lengths- thus the joints -spaced (hopefully) regularly would be the most suspect areas. Again, thanks for the responses. Pat

Reply to
patrick mitchel

Patrick-

If the leak is BEFORE the meter, it's probably the water co's responsibility. At least it would be where I live. Have him call to report the leak and let them deal with it.

Mar

Reply to
MAG