Finally an alternative to incandescents?

Page 7 of 7

http://www.ledjournal.com/main/blogs/the-impact-of-the-california-quality-led-bulb/

I agree. It's odd that such a fuss is being made about power factor though. The effect on the electrical system in a single family home even with several homes on the power transformer out on the pole is tiny when power factors are either 0.5., 0.7 or 0.9. These are the requirements for the various lighting devices as regulated by the California Energy Commission for products sold in California.
Tomsic
On Fri, 26 Apr 2013 06:06:42 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"

It's not that hard. Just take one up to the counter and hand the clerk some money. Unless you are really weird looking, he'll probably sell you one.

On 04-26-2013 09:06, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

Depends on what you call testing. My personal experience (ten to fifteen bulbs) with CFLs is that their life time is five percent of the length of the B.S. "warranty"
If this thing, with it's six-year warranty, is proportional, then the answer for me would be NO,
--
Wes Groleau

A pessimist says the glass is half empty.

Check this guy out (EE):
http://tinyurl.com/d4qgzao
He used some Cree solid state single LED bulbs to make a light strip. Looks like it works pretty good.
nb

Well, they have two at an HD on the other side of town and none in 5 stores near that other one. For some reason HD thinks I live on the other side of town, even t hough other websites like weather know where I live.
Hmmm. It has 32 in stock at the store nearesst me. Are you saying I should buy some?? I wonder how many would be good.
And out of stock at 4 stores near that one.
After I kept going, I found 4 stores out of agroup of 6 which said Item not sold at this store. Plus about 14 earlier stores which had at least two, 1 that had one, and 10 earlier additional stores that were out of them.

It says 14.99 now.
A store about 50 miles away from me had a stock of them

A person can go broke tying to save enough money.

LOL!.....
That's a quote.
nb
+2 . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
wrote:

LOL!.....
That's a quote.
nb
On 04-26-2013 07:00, Nate Nagel wrote:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Philips-10-Watt-60W-LED-A19-Soft-White-2700K-Light-Bulb-E-L-Prize-Award-Winner-423244/203285540#BVRRWidgetID

Closest to me claims to have them--for $50. Allegedly costs $1.20 per year to operate (YMMV disclaimer) if you have it on three hours per day.
At my electric rates, if I replace a 60W incandescent that runs three hours a day, I will indeed spend $1.22 a year on it, saving the purchase price in eight years.
However, the "warranty" is only six years. CFLs are "warranted" five years, and most of them last three to six months (yeah, yeah, yours lasts just fine. Well, mine don't--from GE, Sylvania, & Feit.) The "warranty" is meaningless marketing.
--
Wes Groleau

A pessimist says the glass is half empty.

Having worked in the warranty claims department of one of those companies some years ago, I can tell you the warranty is not meaningless. Yes, the company will ask you for a sales slip, a date code from the bulb and maybe want to see the burned out bulb itself; but you will get a free replacement .. sometimes more. If the bulb is Energy Star listed, the whole thing can be done by calling an 800 number. With the more expensive LED bulbs, the Energy Star listing becomes more important, of course.
Tomsic