Finally an alternative to incandescents?

I bought the house a year ago and bought the CFLs after that. They all have the warm-up problem. It's a real PITA in the Winter.

On Fri, 26 Apr 2013 20:21:26 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

I think mine were from home depot and were less than $2 each. I can go look at the label if you want.

That's where I bought mine. I don't remember what I paid but it was in the $2-$3 range. They work for the basement but there is *no* way they'd live upstairs.
On Fri, 26 Apr 2013 16:45:40 +0200, nestork

It is a lot of money, but it is not a lot of light. I'm not interested until they have equivalent of 75W or 100W. We don't have a 60 in the house that I can think of.
On 04/26/2013 11:05 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Are you using 75W incandescents or "75W equivalent" CFLs? If the latter I think you'd be OK with the new Philips light as it doesn't play fast and loose with "wattage equivalents" like everyone else has for years.
There are brighter LEDs on the market, but they're less efficient and more expensive. I know Philips has them, but they're expensive and fall prey to the same optimistic ratings as CFLs (e.g. the "75W equivalent" LED bulb uses 17W, produces 1100 lumens and costs $40 and the "100W equivalent" one is 22W, 1780 lumens, $55 whereas real 120V incandescent bulbs would in fact be 75W/1200 lumens. Surprisingly the "100W equivalent" appears to in fact be so.)
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Both, depending on location. The new CFLs have a good color temperature and don't have any lag when turned on. When CFLs became available, they were horrid sickly green, but no more. The bright white is quite nice, better than incadescents.

The white is better but they still have that damned lag, particularly when it's cold (*very* noticeable below 60F - worse as it gets colder).
Nate Nagel wrote:

The electric utility price subsidies vary from state to state and sometimes even in different areas within a state. Some places will have no subsidies and some will have substantial ones. Find where the best ones are and make a day trip to buy your lamps on some other utility's dime :)
replying to Nate Nagel , DA wrote:

Same thing happens here: I select my PA local HD - $49.97, my NJ work location (35 miles away) HD - $14.97
Sounds like a profitable business can be started to haul LED bulbs across the Delaware river :)
--
/\_/\
((@v@)) NIGHT
DA wrote:

A business doing that would seem likely to get you in trouble, but a drive over to pay cash for a batch for yourself would seem a good idea.

What are they going to arrest you for, "bulb running? "Interstate transport of lighting accessories?" Too funny!
snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

Probably fraud, for claiming a subsidy from a utility you aren't a customer of.

You really are trying to win the top idiot award for the NG, aren't you? <boggle>
the oversized clear plastic packaging you hurt yourself trying to open is all about making it impossible to shoplift
I will try to find one for my pole light, its on a light sensor which blows CFLs because its a realtive of a dimmer:(
Converting to CFLs made my electric bill drop noticeably:)
On 04/26/2013 12:57 PM, bob haller wrote:

It might look kinda goofy in a pole light during the daytime...
as I said before this whole geekery started after buying a 4W "flame" LED bulb at Lowes (Utilitech Pro brand) it works in the pole light but doesn't really light up the driveway completely; I was looking to see if there were any higher lumen ones available (not for an affordable price) and that's when I came across the $15 good Philips bulbs @ HD.
Maybe one of the 40W equivalent Crees would be the ticket? They're not particularly decorative but they are more like a traditional frosted light bulb in appearance and you don't really care about CRI as much in a pole light as you would indoors.
Unless you want to advertise to the world that you geek out on stuff like LED bulbs, in which case by all means get the Philips (although I think the older ones with the silver fluted base and orange remote phosphor panels look even cooler <G>)
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

And it will keep him from drowning when he's swimming across the Delaware with a load of lighbulbs behind him.

Philips is in this to make money, not so save electricity.. I'd be surprised if anyone working for Philips invented the LED lightbulb**. someone else did. They're just marketing it, and they think packaging that attracts attention, and makes the item look valuable (esp since it seem to be) will make it sell better. There's no double standard. OTOH It's the inventor, the government, and the customer who are interested in saving electricity.
**And even if someone did, Philips goal was still to make money. There are enterprises with societal goals. Maybe we could make a list of them. I think Kellogg truly thought that his cereals would make people healthier. Or maybe I'm thinking of Post or General Mills (What war was Mills a general in?)
--- SNIP ---

According to a Philips Lighting speaker that I heard at a conference recently, the high price of their "L Prize" bulb is due to (1) it's made-in-the-USA costs which were a requirement of the DOE who sponsored the L Prize competition (2) the high 90+ color rendering index requirement and (3) the projected sales which are expected to be less than "commodity" LED bulbs with poorer performance and shorter life.
Late last year, the California Energy Commission adopted a ruling that set up performance specifications similar to the L Prize bulb. They're called "California Quality" requirements. The plan is to have the utilities in California rebate only California Quality bulbs next year and to make those rebates substanial. It's interesting that the DOE and the CEC both feel that the quality of light (good color, high light output, long life) are important if consumers are to accept them. Reading about all of the poor performing bulb products on this ng, including the sad stories about CFLs, it seems about time that we have quality products that offer value if we're ever to replace the energy-wasting incandescent bulbs.
Tomsic
On 04/28/2013 06:11 PM, Tomsic wrote:

I'm not surprised by that at all...
but the 90+ CRI is one of the main reasons that I'm excited about this bulb as opposed to the majority of other offerings on the market (the other being the un-fudged lumen output for a "60W equivalent")

Ayup, but I have a feeling that this bulb will quietly disappear after a while. Re: "California Quality" I think the L-prize fails because of its poor power factor.
http://www.ledjournal.com/main/blogs/the-impact-of-the-california-quality-led-bulb/
The Cree bulbs, which are the ones that HD is pushing now, seem decent-ish but have a published CRI that doesn't meet the specs, and some have reported a detectable flicker, BUT the do have power factor correction. So there's apparently no "perfect" bulb on the market, although the L-prize bulb with power factor correction would be pretty darn close.
nate
--
On 05/10/2013 09:52 AM, Nate Nagel wrote:

http://www.ledjournal.com/main/blogs/the-impact-of-the-california-quality-led-bulb/

found here:
http://www.lightingfacts.com/products
looks like there is now exactly one other high CRI standard form factor bulb on the market
http://lednovation.com/products/pdf/A19_Omni_spec_revE.pdf
which does in fact also have a high power factor.
unfortunately, a web search reveals that it is expensive (shocker!) out of stock at all of the few places I checked (I didn't spend a lot of time on this though) and one amazon review mentioned an audible buzz.
But we're getting there...
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
On 05/10/2013 10:15 AM, Nate Nagel wrote:

And this is all irrelevant anyway because as I feared, apparently the L-prize bulb is no more. I don't have 100% confirmation yet but they're out of stock everywhere and wikipedia is saying they've been discontinued. I dropped a line to Philips asking where I could buy them, but I suspect that this was a premium product being sold at or below cost and once Philips sold enough to demonstrate that they could make them they're going to now quietly drop them and concentrate on similar but not quite as good products that they can make more profit on.
I got six, now I'm wishing I'd picked up more of them.
nate