Finally an alternative to incandescents?

Page 5 of 7
On Sat, 27 Apr 2013 00:40:05 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

It has a switch, we don't use it though. I want to be able to walk into the kitchen at any time and be able to get a drink of water or whatever. Plenty of light to start the coffee or tea in the morning. Casts enough light to find the bathroom door, the top of the stairs. too.
I also have an LED nightlight in the bathroom. Gives enough light that you can use the bathroom during the night and not have to turn a light on. Only had it about 6 months so I'm not sure how long it will last.

What a waste. I flick the light on when I walk into the kitchen. They put them by the door for a reason. LED nightlights in the hall take care of the rest.

I have a few around the house. They use a lot less energy than your wasteful habits.
On 04-27-2013 07:46, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Yeah, Lord knows flipping a light switch before having coffee is not feasible. You'd have no energy left to press the button on the coffee maker.
--
Wes Groleau

A pessimist says the glass is half empty.
On 4/26/2013 10:12 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I have a 9 watt florescent tube fixture over the kitchen sink I leave on, roommate can't leave it alone because his father who grew up during THE Depression would beat him for leaving lights on. I don't bounce the way I did when I was younger and I've been hurt because I tripped over something in the dark. A broken hip costs more than the electricity to run a 9 watt light 24/7 for 30 years. o_O
TDD
On Sat, 27 Apr 2013 04:28:39 -0500, The Daring Dufas

Another energy hog! Wow!
...gotta go check on my stash of 100W incandescents.
On 04/26/2013 10:45 AM, nestork wrote:

BUT if I needed to purchase some sort of light, any light, with the only consideration being that it was going to go in an Edison base fixture, I wouldn't even consider CFLs anymore. My choice today would be between an incandescent and these new LEDs. The price difference between a CFL and the LEDs (at $15, anyway) is little enough that I'm willing to pay the extra for the luxury of not being annoyed at the CFL every time I turn it on.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

THe only place I have CFLs is in the unfinished basement, where 1) I don't care what how the light looks. 2) I don't care about the absurdly long warm-up. Much. 3) The lights may stay on for more than an hour a day so there might be some energy to save. 4) Haven't gotten the T8s wired in yet.

#1 was resolved years ago. Current CFLs have good color temp and CRI.
#2 seems to only apply to encapsulated CFLs, not a single one of the open spiral CFLs I've used has a warmup time over a second or so after it's initial couple hours of burn-in.
#3 there is energy to save regardless of daily run time. If your sub hour a day run time saves #0.03 that's still a savings. Total lamp lifetime savings is still the same, it just takes longer to accumulate.
#4 I use all 4' T8 fixtures in my shop and I'm pretty happy with them. LEDs would save more power, but it would take more fixtures to get the same coverage as a cheap dual 4' T8 fixture.
On 04/26/2013 12:50 PM, Pete C. wrote:

Which ones? Subjectively, I don't like them, and objectively I haven't seen any commonly available with CRIs listed significantly >80 (and most don't list it at all)

The bigger the CFL the longer the warm up time it seems... which means if you have an older house with older fixtures that were designed for adequate lighting with 60W bulbs or greater then you'll be annoyed by the warm up time. You're right, you can get a 13W CFL that isn't *too* annoying, but if you need more power than that out of a single "bulb" then the ramp up is back...
I guess where my frustration with CFLs stems from is a desire *not* to replace old light fixtures with newer ones using fluorescent tubes or multiple CFLs (what can I say, I like old stuff)

Yeah, T8 or T12 shop lights are hard to beat for illumination. The CRI may not be the greatest but they're head and shoulders above CFLs in lampholders for sheer illumination and the CRI is likely better too - and 4' T8s are available in tons of different color temps etc. as for years they've been the standard for commercial illumination. I ended up using them in the whole basement of my last place; two troffers in the "man cave" area that had a drop ceiling, and shop lights in the laundry room.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Nate Nagel wrote:

The 7.5W 40W equiv. LG lamps I've been using for about a year. I have absolutely no issues with their light quality. They have two color temp versions available also.

I use a bunch of higher power CFLs, the 23W+ versions. I put them in the cheap clip on reflector fixtures and use them for work lights where I used to use 500W halogen. I don't see any notable warmup times on those unless I'm using them outside in really cold weather. I've also *gasp* used 23W CFLs in enclosed fixtures with no meltdowns and still 4+ years of service life.

The total light output isn't hard to replace with LEDs, but the light distribution from a 4' two tube T8 is difficult to match.

Bullshit. Color temp doesn't tell you jack.

Nonsense. The pig tails take five minutes, or longer, to come up to full brightness. In cold weather, forget it. Most of my lighs aren't on that long in a day.

Bullshit. It takes energy to make the things (and for me to buy them).

Don't bet on LEDs taking less power. 4' T8s are pretty efficient. The light is also better for such work than anything you're likely to find in a "bulb".
snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

Tell that to anyone in the photo/video/film/stage lighting fields...

None of the dozens of CFLs I've used have ever behaved that way. You must live in the Bermuda triangle for CFLs.

Yep, as it does to make incandescents and for you to buy the 40 incandescents that it will take to cover the service life of one LED lamp.

T8s are good, but LED are still more efficient W/Lumen.

None? Ever? I don't think it's necessarily that all spiral ones take a considerable time to warm up, but I've sure seen plenty of them that do take a long time. I have some of them in my garage. right now. This time of year, they take about 1 min to get near full brightness. For the first 15 secs, it's dim, but at least you can see. In the winter, you could double the time and for the first 30 secs, you can't see worth a damn. They are so bad, I switched back to regular bulbs for the most critical of the 4, so at least I can see something.....
To be fair, these are older ones and I've had newer ones that are better. But then when I bought these $7 things, they were supposed to last a very long time so that I would get the payback right? And one big problem that the industry fails to address is that there are no STANDARDS. There should be a spec system where how long they take to get to say 50%, 75%, 100% output at 65F and 25F is right on the box. That is one of the frustrations, that even today, you;re buying a pig in a poke. And what you bought last year, that gave an acceptable light quality, warm-up time, etc, is probably no longer available because now they have some other bulb, from some other junk Chinese facility.
Oh and then there are other surprises. Like the CFL spiral ones, at least some of them, say they are not supposed to be installed upside down. Or the ones that look like reflector/ flood type bulbs. But while having basically the same shape, the neck is much thicker so that it won't go into my recessed lights....
The experience with CFL is one reason I'm not real quick to jump on the LED bandwagon and buy all the marketing BS. Not at $15 - $25 for sure.

If it lasts that long. Based on what I've seen with CFL versus the claims, I'm skeptical. And just because the typical low power LED indicator in a stereo or PC lasts a long time, doesn't mean the LED light will. The light also has a power supply adn those typically have things like caps in them that fail before the LED. And with the drive to make these cheap so people will buy them, I wouldn't be suprised to find out that the PS dies long before the LED itself. And also, the light LEDs are high power devices, so I don't think extrapolating the lifespan of an indicator LED is valid.

Really? Do photographers and videographers use CFLs? You really are a dummy.

The only possible explanation is that you're blind.

You really are an idiot. It would take me forty years to go through forty lights. Try turning off your lights when you leave a room. You'll save a *LOT* more money than using crappy CFLs.

I don't think that's right.
snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

Yep, they sure do. They also use T8 flouro arrays.

Yes, that's it, that's the ticket... Nobody could possibly have experience that doesn't match your prejudice...

I've never used crappy CFLs, I used good CFLs and have now moved on to good LEDs now that they are available at reasonable prices. The LG ones I've been using for a bit over a year are performing wonderfully.

It is, whether you think it or not.

Bullshit.

You really are an idiot. *YOU* just said that because you can't see it, it can't happen. What a dummy!

All CFLs are crappy, in that you can't tell the difference between shit and the best (still shit). You really have a *lot* of trust of technology. Designing this stuff, I know better. LEDs are still at least five years (probably ten, if ever) away from being useful for general lighting.

I must say, you're good at being wrong.
snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

My 23 years in the biz trumps your zero.

Apparently you haven't learned anything in your "23 years".
On 04-26-2013 15:46, Pete C. wrote:

Many of the ones I got were reasonably bright when first turned on, though there was some build-up. But mine--the ones that don't burn up first--seem to get worse in warm-up time as they age.
--
Wes Groleau

A pessimist says the glass is half empty.
On Fri, 26 Apr 2013 12:41:47 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

In an unfinished basement, unfinished light works best.

The last CFLs I bought have no warm-up time at all that I can see. Bought in the last year.