Filter before or after pressure tank?

I've read previous discussions on this, and am still confused. One person stated that the filter housing could burst and drain the well or burn up the pump if placed before the pressure tank, why wouldn't this happen after the pressure tank as well. I can't see the pressure switch making much difference if the pressure tank had an open 1" line running full pipe. is there any sort of safety switch like a low pressure switch upstream of the filter, or a wet floor switch that would shut off the pump?

Reply to
Eric in North TX

If the pressure switch is downstream of the filter,you can get very high pressures on the upstream side of a clogged filter before the switch turns off. If the filter is after the switch you will only get the pressure the switch is set at.

Reply to
digitalmaster

Burst pressure of the filter housings for high flow rate filters exceed well pressures. If the housing is OUTSIDE, exposed to sunlight, the risk is that UV exposure will weaken the housing so much that normal well pressures will then burst the housing. However, if the filter is in a protected space, ie. in the same space with the pressure tank (many times in the garage), it will last for decades, perhaps longer than the house does

Most well pumps today are designed for near 100% duty cycle, so a new well pump purchased today (if you examine the specs for the pump carefully) will work in a line break situation until such time as you notice and cut the pump off for repairs.

Reply to
Robert Gammon

Ok I can see that, thank you. I'm also considering a Cycle Stop Valve, any idea on sizing this? A brief overview; 475' deep well, 5hp pump, heavy steel centrifugal filter with automatic purge, between well and 2- 300 gal pressure tanks, Davey booster pump on house circuit and hydrant circuit (used for some pasture irrigation infrequently, tank pressure only to green house and normal daily drip irrigation.

Reply to
Eric in North TX