Filling space at the bottom of fireplace hearth

I just noticed this morning that there seemed to be some cold air around the bottom of our fireplace hearth, which is brick and mortar. A quick look shows that the mortar under the bottom brick has worn away, in many places quite deeply. Should I fill with mortar, or could I use some other sort of sealant (foam?) to fill this space?

Thanks!

-Ben

Reply to
Ben